What will happen to a already modded bios for vista?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by -arttext, Aug 13, 2009.

1. -arttext

-arttext MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2007
    I have got a dual boot machine. Formerly with XP and Vista and now with Vista and 7.
    The bios is on a Abit IN9 32X-MAX WIFI with a V13 bios.
    The bios is modded for Vista, slic= Asus.
    So my question is, need the bios to be modded again? And if so, what's happening with my Vista partition then?

2. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    SLIC 2.1 is backwards compatible with Vista.Yeah you have to remod, then get W7 installed and activated first then there is a little trick to keep vista activated.I think it's just changing the cert for vista.

3. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    except the acer certs right?

4. Barry

Barry MDL Novice

Nov 14, 2007
    I modded a Lenovo 2.1 SLIC in my ASUS BIOS so I found a Lenovo cert and Lenovo Vista key and activated Vista, then I used the same cert and leaked Lenovo key for Win7 to activate Win7 :)

So the only think different you need is a KEY for the version of Windows you want to activate, generally:

SLIC 2.1 BIOS works for BOTH Vista/Win7
    A cert for Vista also works for Win7
    An SLP Key for either Vista or Win7

Just make sure you have same OEM SLIC/CERT/KEY, i.e. Lenovo 2.1 SLIC, Lenovo cert and Lenovo key :)

5. Gonzakpo

Gonzakpo MDL Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I don't think you need to have the same slic/cert/key. The cert and the slic must be the same but he key could be anyone. It's a master key so I guess it can activate any OEM.
    I'm not completely sure of this but I you look around a lot of people is activating windows 7 with Dell/Hp slic but using the lenovo key.

6. Barney Rubble

Barney Rubble MDL Novice

Jul 19, 2008
    Yes, the key doesn't matter, any SLP key for the installed Windows edition will do. The only reason to use a matching key would be that Microsoft could theoretically detect the inconsistency in a future version of their WGA checks, but I doubt that they will do that.

7. -arttext

-arttext MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2007
    Slic

So it's absolutely sure that the slic I used for modding my bios for Vista (not so long ago) is not already a slic 2.1, so I have to do nothing, basically? Except, of course te reinstall 7 since it still has the March 2020 time bomb?