What will u do after M$ executed XP?

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by YessMann, Apr 26, 2014.

Tags:
  1. YessMann

YessMann MDL Member

Nov 27, 2012
    What will u do after M$ executed XP?
    ★(not for VM)
    1. Continue to use XP...naked run.
    2. Change to Win7/8
    3. Change to Linux

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. SvenP

SvenP MDL Junior Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Change to OS X.

3. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    Keep Windows XP SP3 updated april 8 2014 running as long as possible. Don't give a rat's ass about Windows 8. :D
    I use linux only when I'm really bored, which is once or twice a month.
    Windows 7 SP1 runs on laptop.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. eydee

eydee Guest

I use an old XP PC to run old games. Upgrading to anything newer cuts the performance in half as WDDM is not optimized for single core CPUs, nor are these operating systems. Playing those games on linux is out of the question, so I'll have to keep running XP until I can get slightly newer old hardware that can handle 7 properly. I do have a modern computer as well (before someone says to upgrade) but I live at multiple locations and can't afford buying multiple full-fledged PCs.

Microsoft f......ed it up really this time, they should provide an operating system for legacy hardware as well.

5. ismethere

ismethere MDL Senior Member

Apr 7, 2014
    Here, Windows xp still runs just fine, got updates (I think the last updates) tested on 10Pc, requested by our client at my own internet cafe
    i've downloded all (off line windows) updates just for backup..probably to switch on W7 pro as my XP migrate.

6. YessMann

YessMann MDL Member

Nov 27, 2012
    #6 YessMann, May 1, 2014
    Last edited: May 1, 2014
    (OP)
    But IE backhole problem occurs without any update.
    Naked running XP takes hi risk.

7. YessMann

YessMann MDL Member

Nov 27, 2012
    #7 YessMann, May 1, 2014
    Last edited: May 1, 2014
    (OP)
    I will install win7-ultimate_KMS\MTK/MDL on my dell; Ubuntu1404 on my NEC.
    This 2 notebooks(2004) is using XP now.

8. timster

timster MDL Senior Member

Aug 23, 2009
    none of those options.

I haven't used Windows XP in about 6 years.

9. BobSheep

BobSheep MDL Guru

Apr 19, 2010
    I have a 12 year old computer that runs quite happily on XP but there are so few windows 7 drivers for the hardware I'd end up scrapping the machine. Now that's not good for my pocket and neither is it good for the environment. Congrats M$, scrapping XP may have turned you into the environmental anti Christ.

10. LeoNeeson

LeoNeeson MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2014
    I will continue using XP SP3 (not updated, but using a good firewall & a lot of common sense), with Windows 7 on a spare partition, only for the games that need it (offline, as I don't really trust it to go online, yeah, I'm a paranoid). All that, until ReactOS comes up stable. ;)

11. YessMann

YessMann MDL Member

Nov 27, 2012
    My XP becomes very slow,
    It was normal on original sp3 but it waste my time since sp3+allUpdates.
    Especially, installed Avira...
    I think 512MB Ram can not run 7,
    Hence, it's hi time to switch to Ubuntu.

12. win95fan

win95fan MDL Novice

Mar 19, 2014
    #13 win95fan, May 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
    Because Microsoft ceased support for Windows XP and earlier, THERE WILL BE NO MORE WARRANTIES OF THEM WORKING PROPERLY!

13. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    yes, there is far more good stuff out there... kolibrios, reactos, no need for linux at all, all it ever does for me is crash..

14. niko32

niko32 MDL Novice

May 14, 2014
    I'll continue using XP off course, cause that is the latest and only Windows OS that my old hardware can decently run. :)

And good people like harkaz from RyanVM Forums have already easily ported all four May 2014 critical updates from Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 to Windows XP.

15. Thamarai

Thamarai MDL Novice

May 6, 2014
    You have been warned by Microsoft and not to use Windows XP?

16. duh

duh MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
    did you just say reactOS? :eek: holy s**t :eek:
    i am going to cry now. uwaaaaaaaaaaa uwaaaaaaaaaaaaa uwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :D
    and then reactOS? :fishing1:
    LeoNesson drop me a p.m. when they release atleast beta.... :fishing1:
    thanks!
    -paul

17. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    I am happy with Fedora/RHEL/CentOS and Mint, they all hold a place here lol

18. niko32

niko32 MDL Novice

May 14, 2014
    #19 niko32, May 14, 2014
    Last edited: May 14, 2014
    I'm so scared, I'm trembling. :unsure:

Using a good antivirus, firewall and most importantly a lot of common sense will keep you reasonably safe, no matter what windows operating system you are using.

And Microsoft will provide updates for Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 (which is a variant of Windows XP) for another 5 years, and those updates can be patched and installed in Windows XP. Maybe most users won't be savvy enough to use or bother with that, but some of us will.

19. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    I think it was Daz that mentioned Server 2003 is also still another option, not much mention of using it to replace XP.