What you think about Windows7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ExpL0, Sep 11, 2010.

1. ExpL0

ExpL0 MDL Novice

Sep 11, 2010
    Hey, tell here what you generally think about WIndows7. DO you like it or disslike it..?

Well I for myself wanted to keep XP as long as possible, but after I got my new PC with Windows 7, i was surprised. I liked it. Much nice functions and its looking more modern than XP, I´m now happy that I changed!

2. myhken

myhken Experienced MDL Tester

Feb 28, 2010
    No reason to keep XP if you don't have a crappy old computer. Win7 is far better, and it's 10 years newer then XP. More safe to use, better look etc. Can not understand why people is so afraid going from an old OS to a new one. Always some function you loose, but a ton of new functions to play with.
    And for gamers, you have to go to Win7, since XP do not support DirectX 11(10) and newer.

3. ExpL0

ExpL0 MDL Novice

Sep 11, 2010
    True using my i5 750 and GTX 465 with XP would be stupid. No way to usse all Power they have.

4. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2009
    XP is dead man. 10 year old OS. Anyone who still uses and has the right hardware is just closing his eyes and refusing to move on.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. .Matt.

.Matt. MDL Novice

Jan 10, 2010
    XP is not 'dead', it's old. And it's just that with all the new quad core CPUs XP is no longer able to use all of the 'power'. If you have a dual core CPU, I don't think you absolutely have to upgrade. The reason everyone is upgrading is that windows 7, as opposed to Vista, does not suck. In addition it supports DX10 and 11 and the newer cpus with multiple cores. I'm not saying you should keep XP, just don't feel forced to upgrade if you don't want/have to.

In my opinion 7 is far superior to XP, although I still use XP due to compatiblity issues: some games from before 2000 don't work on 7 or XP mode (for whatever reason).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Tahunasky

Tahunasky MDL Junior Member

Jul 19, 2009
    #6 Tahunasky, Sep 11, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
    There is x64 version of XP.. And just because an OS is old, doesnt mean its out of date, there is still alot of new netbooks/nettops thats come pre-installed with XP.. Look at OS-X, little has changed since that first came out in x64 (and from 32 bit to 64), or linux for that matter - the underlying OS is still the same. And i dont think W7 or Vista were a big jump forward, mostly user interface, which is a matter of taste.

I like W7, i bought a laptop that had vista on it, and stuck with it, even though i hated it, and preferred XP to vista, but now that i have W7 am happy for the most part.
    The only thing i hate about W7 is the amount of RAM and speed of CPU you need.. Thats the biggest complaint i have of windows, every new version is a new laptop upgrade (vista to w7 wasnt, but w7 was more a service pack and better GUI than a new version).

7. myhken

myhken Experienced MDL Tester

Feb 28, 2010
    I just install XP on an older Lenovo T60 computer now for a friend. And I have used 3 hours already, and I'm not finish yet. First almost 1 hour to install XP, then download drivers from Lenovo Support site, then update XP (I'm using a SP3 CD so it's "only" 100 MB (96 updates) thats needs to be installed. So there is all the software, but the time there is the same as the time on Win7, of course a newer computer installs the programs faster...
    Win7 takes around 20 minutes to install, almost no updates, and almost never any drivers to download.

8. CRA2YHAVOK

CRA2YHAVOK MDL Senior Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Yeah I decided put XP on my Netbook the other day, was shocked at all the updates I had to download for it :eek:

Windows 7 is back on it now though, just couldn't face not using it on there.

9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  10. coromonadalix

coromonadalix MDL Senior Member

Jul 21, 2009
    to me it's a Vista Sp3 in disguise, crappy file manager (explorer), display drivers shutting down troubles i've never had in Xp or Vista, control panel became more complex to handle, until i found the "god mode" trick, and the installed size on disk became more and more bigger. Iv'e had and tried all the windows types since win 3.1 up to Win 7.

I whant a classic look (i've tried a few's, but sometimes causes mores troubles) , no crappy effects, or aero things, a simple / efficient / stable OS, that's what i need. i'm impress'd by the linux variants, ubuntu, knoppix, and a windows XP look a like : Ylmf OS 3.0 Final Based on Ubuntu 10.04.

11. Deb_Rider

Deb_Rider MDL Senior Member

Aug 21, 2010
    east or west.......windows 7 is the best.........

12. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I was still installing quite a few a while back mostly for friends with older machines who were running vlk version and their keys got blacklisted :D Rather that risking bios mods on there machines (I don't mind modding my own) i just use HP DMI tattoo cd if they don't have SLP1.0 string and a multi XP Pro Sp3 OEM SLP1.0 dvd with all XP driverpacks and hotfixes integrated. Depending on system if it was reasonably clean i some times used VLK and OEMBIOS changer....

13. jabberwocky

jabberwocky MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009
    well I am currently surfing with ME . (thats windowsME) its on an older pc athlon xp3200 1.0gb ddr266 ram sata1 raided (2x40gb). I use it for internet only ,its super fast running ie6 ,OS is just 185mb so it runs in hyperos ramdrive .will load the entire OS into ram in around 7 seconds and run it from there ,no need for antispyware ,antivirus .
    I use it for downloading files ,I have much more advanced machines running vista/7 etc ,but for surfing and downloading trouble free without all the crap in between win ME beats them all for speed . you should see it defrag ,a bloated windows xp drive ,35 gb of heavily fragmented drive defragged in 3mins and 4 seconds.
    but in answer to your question ,windows 7 is the best by a long way ,its more stable at launch than any os before it .XP was s**t until sp2 ,and not that much better afterwards ,the only people who moan about windows 7 are either trying to run it on old obsolete hardware or simply unwilling to change thier thinking from the old xp way of doing things .

14. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Minimum requirement I've seen 7 work ok on decent

Pent 4 with 1GB RAM...lol

15. Zaborgttm

Zaborgttm MDL Novice

May 24, 2010
    If your still on xp, you need to get with the times man! Windows 7 is well worth the cost.

16. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    What cost :p...lol

17. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Only worth the cost if your machine can run it, Xp runs fine on older systems and not every one needs fancy graphics e.c.t especialy if they just use it for a work machine.

18. DARKOR04

DARKOR04 MDL Tester/Developer

Jul 5, 2010
    #19 DARKOR04, Sep 11, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
    Totally agree with that... I was one of them, :) until bought my new Laptop (December 2009) and Install it... Windows 7 its awesome no doubt about it....;)

But still using XP Pro SP3 in a Dell Latitude D610 for Cracking Stuff (Tools Compatibility issues in W7) most of tools are very old but very useful ;)

19. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    For the fastest but totally unreliable system the first prize goes to Dos 6.22 + Windows 3.1 - flies on moderncomputers and finishes booting before you can remove your finger from the power button - used to see that combination used in Banks and Insurance companies - no wonder we had a GFC.

Slightly miles off topic - forgive me.