whats better for Win8 activation KMS or SLIC BIOS?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by CaelThunderwing, Mar 12, 2014.

1. CaelThunderwing

CaelThunderwing MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2012
    i've had my Copy of Windows 7 Ultimate since October 2009 (New Efficiency Seminar in Detroit MI) and i have Win Server 2012 (viafriend in college that provides access to Dreamspark (but no access to Win 81.Pro via that)

With windows 9 on its heals by a year, im looking to upgrade to 8.1 but not sure whats the better activation method, i know KMS i need at the 180 day mark to be connected to the net for it to contact the server, and w/ the SLIC bios Mod its perma.

but both have me worring which is better? which is easly broken by a windows update? i wouldnt really be thinking of the Bios mod if my board wasnt an Dual-BIOS gigabyte board (1 bad flash = quick recovery,)

2. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    #2 Myrrh, Mar 12, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
    SLIC is obsolete for Win8, replaced by OEM : DM which has a unique, valid key per-machine, embedded in the system's ROM.

KMS is the only feasible method existing to activate Win8 without spending money. Everything else requires a contact to Microsoft to activate.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. CaelThunderwing

Feb 27, 2012
    :/ KMS only for now? makes me wish i knew about the Dreamspark loophole for win 8.1 pro in time :/ then is it better to use a public KMS Server or make one within my own network? and whats the disadvantages of KMS (aka again how easily to break by Windows update etc. still seen for the most part as genuine when retrieving downloads from Microsoft.)

4. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Yes, SLIC only works for Server builds, now. I prefer to run my own KMS, less dependency on online services, lol.

The disadvantages of KMS?
    1. Some SKUs do not support it officially (unofficially it still works with a KMS emu).
    2. It has to be renewed periodically. Most solutions from here do that by themselves in one way or the other.
    3. VL-activated Windows are excluded from some MS offers and need to use alternate ways (e. g. ISO) to upgrade.

5. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Unfortunately only Server 2012 so far, as R2 is still missing OEM:SLP keys :cool2:.

PS: Carlos, the font you're using is really hard to read ... :hmm:. Always makes me think i'm blind.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Jeroni.

Jeroni. MDL Novice

Mar 12, 2014
    Regards
    Microsoft Toolkit 2.5
    It is the best ...

7. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    #7 Superfly, Mar 12, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
    Does generated keys not work?

8. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Don't let Daz see this :D. After reading a lot about it, decided not to mess with this, as long noone knows how those ones will react on long term.

9. eydee

eydee Guest

KMS (MTK) is the best solution for both win7 and win8. Why? Because you need it for Office anyway, and there's no point in having 2 activation solutions on your PC when a single one can do all the work.

10. YIN

YIN MDL Member

May 31, 2009
    i prefer win7 because few things:
    1. win7 using slic (activated forever) and win8 using kms (kms software look like is waiting for "windows update" that can kill your offline server).
    2. UAC in win 8 S.U.C.K.S. (try to turn off completely and use metro apps, start menu is working better with expensive touch screen)

so lets forget about win8 and go back to the good old win7

11. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    (Wakes up to answer license thingee)

SLIC BIOS Activation has been retired and replaced with SLIC emulation which is done by Loaders such as daz's loaders. Aka do it once and your done.

While KMS Activation puts a KMS emulation onto the machine that mirrors an entire web server in order to keep a key perpetually activated every 180 days.

Now which one is the best solution? Personally I prefer activating once and being done with it. However KMS keeps a task in the Windows task scheduler which keeps it going with minimal user interaction and keeps life convenient. That being said SLIC only requires one activation and your done. At this point I usually run genuine because of the keys I have access to.

This being a rather simply question means we really don't need to say more than that.

12. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    How can you activate Windows 8.x using SLIC emulation??

:doh:

13. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #13 Smorgan, Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
    It's been a long day hmph. I'm allowed to point out trivial idiocies.

Aka its easier to do a Loader that does most of the SLIC BIOS stuff for you anyway.

And It's been sad Tits most of what I do now can't be put on the forum cause its a custom Windows edition :p

14. eydee

eydee Guest

So you don't use Office? Strange, you even have Office repositories in your sig. If you do use Office, you do have that KMS emulation on your computer, but only use half of its potential. Instead, you have another thing installed for the OS. (Or not, as you say you have access to keys. Still, the point remains.)

15. lievre

lievre MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2012
    I've try Microsoft toolkit, work pretty well but once in awhile i cannot use it, won't install.
    Then i use also KMSpico never have any issue with it. Easy to use easy to install.

Your choice both are doing a pretty good job.

Lievre

16. CaelThunderwing

Feb 27, 2012
    its been a tiring day (IRL throwing a bag of Flaing *** in my face w/ troubles.) looks like a win 7 upgrade pretty much is almost no diffrent from a fresh install, am i better off doing a fresh install or doing an upgrade if VL-ISO's can upgrade anyways?

and Smorgan i'd like to know that as well how is SLIC action possible (i agree w/ you 1 time activate and be done w/ it.)

17. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    No SLIC for Win 8.x. OEM: DM keys cannot be shared, in opposite to OEM: SLP keys in Win 7 and Server 2012.

18. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    We'll save you some headache.
    There is no non-legit OEM activation happening in win8.x
    Think of OEM keys as legit retail keys. There's no way to emulate the things because they are tied to specific hardware hashes and installation ids and activated online with online reporting.

Use KMS or go buy Windows 8. There are no other alternatives besides maybe butchering your system files with a hacktivator. Trust me, you DON'T want to do that.