what's legal way to have 8.1 update 1

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by krakadzil, Apr 28, 2014.

1. krakadzil

krakadzil MDL Novice

May 20, 2011
    I am owner of windows 7 pro, in December 2012 I bought the upgrade to windows 8 pro (mail received key) then I expanded versions of Windows 8 + Media Center (received by e-mail key)

other update available as 8.1 or 8.1 update 1 were downloaded automatically by the system

how to perform a clean installation legitimate but starting from 8.1 udpate 1?

is it possible? I'm buy windows 7 pro with thinkpad laptop - now I want to replace the hard drive on the ssd.

step by step how to do this?

2. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    1) Download Windows 8.1 Pro WMC with Update ESD image from the below link

http://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/53855-Windows-8-1-with-Update-ESDs-Repository

2) Use My ToolKit to insert Windows Media Center Generic Activation Tokens and to Make a Windows 8.1 Pro WMC Install DVD ISO Image.

3) Install with the New DVD and Use the WMC Key to Activate.

3. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    The OP asked for a legal way. What you suggested technically isn't legal.

I understand that you only have a Windows 8 key (and WMC key). In that case I'm afraid the only legal way to do a clean install is to start over again with Windows 8, then go through the whole process of upgrading to WMC, upgrading to 8.1 via Store and updating to 8.1 Update.

4. fkar

fkar MDL Recognized Advisor

Nov 3, 2012
    Simplest method is,

1. Take your Activation Backup using ATM (Advanced Tokens Manager).
    2. Either download ProWMC ESD from Windows 8.1 ESD Repository and convert to ISO using esd-decryptor provided there or download murphy's AIO with ProWMC from TPB.
    3. Do a clean installation.
    4. Restore activation using ATM.
    5. After restoring, if your PC isn't activated, you can activate it by phone; I've personally checked this and can confirm this method works 100%

You're DONE! :D

5. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I think the only strictly legal way of doing it would be to use the win8 setup box program and let it create an iso for you.
    That being said, I don't think anyone at MS would object if you used the prowmc esd conversion tool and activated with your legit key.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. ismethere

ismethere MDL Senior Member

Apr 7, 2014
    Personally I suggest you tried the simplest method, because I've did and worked
    when you restoring the activation Key, in first attemp ATM will tell about your Key.
    If the key ATM said not activated then you go to phone activation method.
    don't forget to download Murphy78 AIO ProWMC, If no mistake you're Done!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. krakadzil

krakadzil MDL Novice

May 20, 2011
    ok, i will try this