Whats the best method to activate: Emulate BIOS or Flash BIOS?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by riahc3, Aug 4, 2009.

1. riahc3

riahc3 MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    #1 riahc3, Aug 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  2. Padge

Padge MDL Novice

Jul 25, 2009
    #2 Padge, Aug 4, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
    I requested a BIOS mod in one of the threads here, and thanks to the excellent members here (911Medic), I had one created within minutes! :cool:

Now whatever OS I install, I just require an OEM key and cert, a few command line entries and I am done.....

Never enter the key when installing, I did at first and it would never activate. The blacklisted key is easy to get around, just turn off the auto update, update manually when you know what the updates are. When the new OEM keys arrives, change your key with a few more CMD entries ;)

That is without doubt the best way :)

3. bearbear

bearbear MDL Novice

Mar 4, 2008
    Flashing the BIOS is argueably the better option because MS can't change that with updates or whatever - they can with lo*ders. However there's a greater risk that flashing your BIOS as you can potentially brick it and won't be able to use it again.

Using lo*ders is argueably easier since all you normally have to do is click 1 or 2 buttons, reboot and it's done. But some don't like having stuff during POST (sometimes a load of text) and with lo*ders there's chance of it not working since there's so many variations of PCs out there (like how your computer is set up, raid, dual boot, Windows not installed to C:\ etc). Some even say lo*ders slow your PC down, but I've yet to experience this.

Ultimately it's up to you to decide which you think is better, easy of use (lo*der) over possibly ruining your motherboard, but MS won't be able to deactivate with updates (flashing) so needs a little courage :)

4. riahc3

riahc3 MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    So flashing the BIOS with SLIC tables and all that and NOT adding the key in the install process will activate Windows? What sticky should I follow?

I dont mind going the flash BIOS route because my motherboard includes a recovery mode in case a flash goes bad :)

(Asus P5B Deluxe)

5. ammarman

ammarman MDL Member

Jul 17, 2009
    I used VistaLoader with Vista and never had any problems :D

6. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    First I used Hazar'7 lo*der but then I decided to mod my bios so I think is the better way now.

7. ailef

ailef MDL Senior Member

Nov 30, 2007
    i have a P5B deluxe too, and i used the ami slictool with ssv3 method, all ran fine, my win7 x64 is activated.
    i used the dell slic 2.1

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. riahc3

riahc3 MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    Does this method work for 32 bit version as well?

9. ailef

ailef MDL Senior Member

Nov 30, 2007
    the key activates both ultimate versions.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    This method of BIOS-mod is not depending on the OS version (be it x86 or x64) since it modifies the BIOS itself.

I would say it is more risky than the lo@ders (can break your motherboard's bios when done incorrectly), but once done and working -
    safest of them all and can't be so easily blacklisted.
    All (or nearly all) the lo@ders are depending on the GRUB pre-boot environment which is easy to track down and blacklist.

11. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    #11 HotCarl, Aug 5, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
    That is a good question... Flashing vs. Loading... The answer is very dependent on the system you have. For instance... Say I have 2 laptops. One is a brand new HP G70t laptop with a core 2 processor. Pretty new... The other is a HP zd8000 (this is my friend's PC). It is about 3.5 years old. It has a Pentium 4 3.4GHz HT processor, and came out before Vista was released. Now, on the G70t, it is a newer PC with a newer motherboard & BIOS... Has SLIC 2.0 enabled on the BIOS and would be no problem to update to SLIC 2.1 with a little hex editing and flashing... However, the HP zd8000 came out before Vista was released, so it doesn't not have a SLIC enabled BIOS, hence the only the lo*der will work on that laptop.

Additionally, when you flash your BIOS, you run the risk of "bricking" your motherboard... This can happen due to improper flashing technique (operator error), or due to external circumstances (e.g. a power outage/spike; your pet trips over the power cord; ninja assassins enter your house and sabotage the process...well, maybe not so much the last one, but you cant rule out the possibility...). Either way, bricking your PC's motherboard is no fun, and if your PC's board manufacturer does not have a way for end users to restore the original BIOS when this happens, you will probably have to take it to a repair shop that is equipped to deal with such situations....

So basically, lo*ders are more safe for novice users because at worst case, if you fubar up the lo*der, the worst that happens is you cannot boot into Windows 7 anymore...then you would have to run the windows repair blah blah...or reinstall Win7 blah blah blah...and all that. But it is a lot better to have to (at worst case) reinstall your OS and try again, than it is to incorrectly flash your BIOS and render your PC completely unusable...

One last note though is that there is another trade-off between BIOS mods and lo*ders... Aside from the fact that lo*ders may make your system take a little bit longer to boot up (mine takes ~1 second longer), lo*ders are "light-years" more easily detected than BIOS mods are. Since lo*ders rely on files located on the hard drive (rather than in the BIOS which, generally speaking, is read only) that can be easily found by the OS and manipulated (e.g. "deleted"), lo*ders are much more easily disabled by Windows 7's copy protection schemes... Future windows updates *could* potentially disable some of the more common, well known lo*ders (and especially leaked OEM keys)...then again, MS could do nothing and just release propaganda statements to discourage the use of widely used activation circumvention methods by saying that these programs are full of viruses and spyware...a common MS reaction to these sort of things...

In my opinion, if you are an experienced user, a BIOS mod is probably the way to go...as there would be virtually no way for Win7 to detect that your PC is _not_ a genuine OEM PC (people would have to come to your house and look at your PC to verify that it was not genuine...). If you are a novice user, I would recommend either a) you study up on "boot-disks" (you usually need to reboot your PC with a USB flash drive plugged in in order to boot your PC into DOS to be able to flash your BIOS) and "BIOS flashing" to understand the risks, and what is involved with flashing your BIOS...and most of all, try to get help from someone who has done it before!; or b) use a lo*der... There is no shame in using a lo*der. I use on on my PC and it works great.

Anyway, no matter what you do, make an informed decision... Don't just download a .exe file that someone gives you, and flash your BIOS without knowing what it is exactly that you are doing... No one likes to see "frowny" faces ( :( ) from people in the forum since they bricked their PC (which has happened a few times)...

12. Rykov

Rykov MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2009
    hi,

i am one of the above mentioned novice users. What happens when you use a loader and are caught? And what can you do to get Windows (7) working again?

13. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    Well it is difficult to say - no-one has ever been brought to jail (I speak about home-users) for using non-genuine Windows.
    The worst case would be that you are locked out of your system, but I think MS already relaxed the rules and you will be only nagged by pop-ups (and your wallpapers will be removed), possibly logged out after some period of time (I didn't saw it implemented in WGA yet).

To make it genuine again you probably would need to either change the loader/certificate/key (I don't know which part they will blacklist - possible the loader itself) to an not-blacklisted one.

14. bearbear

bearbear MDL Novice

Mar 4, 2008
    When the early Vista cracks got killed by MS updates, didn't it just revert Vista to a point where as if your 30 day activation period was over and you were locked into the Basic theme/usage? I don't remember the specifics now since it was so long ago.

15. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    That is correct - you were 'locked' out , but since then MS relaxed the anti-piracy scheme and now it just nags you with popups and changes the wallpaper.
    But as I remember correctly (wouldn't bet on it since I'm not 100% sure) - they said something about incorporating logouts everu n-hours when a system is not genuine.

16. riahc3

riahc3 MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    Great post. Thank you :)

You have convinced me to go the BIOS method. I was using a loader for Vista but Im going to try this out.

17. bogstandard

bogstandard MDL Member

Apr 16, 2009
    #17 bogstandard, Aug 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017