Whats the difference between dlink 16 port and 8 port switch

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by black posse, Nov 10, 2013.

1. black posse

black posse MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2013
    Whats the difference between D-Link gigabit switch 16 port ( DGS-1016D ) and D-Link 8-[prt Gigabit Desktop switch 8 port ( DGS-1008D )

okay here is the problem, we are connecting cat5 out door cable from our head office to our supplier shop the distance would be around 25 meters, and the switch we are using is dlink DGS-1008D when m trying to ping to our local server, it gets timeouts, sometimes it says host unreachable. i have tested our cable with a tester and the cable is fine, so i thought its a problem with the switch so i replace our switch to DGS-1016D and the connection is not working gets host unreachable no timeouts even. then i change to our old switch (DGS-1008D) and it gets me connection it works but gets me timeouts in times. i have changed the jacks in the cable from both ends. no luck yet,

what could be the problem?
    any ideas or suggestions.

thanks

2. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    The only real difference between the two switches is 8 ports.

My guess if I had to start somewhere, would be the Cat5 is getting too much crosstalk and line loss. I would suggest Cat6 (my "for right now" preference) or Cat5e if budget requires it (slightly cheaper). Cat6a will future proof any new infrastructure being built though.

Cat5 -> 100MB to 300'
    Cat5e -> 1GB to 300'
    Cat6 -> 10g up to 100'
    Cat6a -> 10g up to 300'

3. black posse

black posse MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2013
    Yeah, and the funny thing is, m using my old switch 8 port one,
    from the shop i can ping to our server IP but from the server i cannot ping to the shop system IP it gets timeouts... 100% Loss.

what could be the problem for this??

And the cable is connected from underground...

thanks