what's the difference between server 2012 and server 2012 VL?

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by awsd, Sep 4, 2012.

1. awsd

awsd MDL Novice

Oct 14, 2009
    what's the difference between server 2012 and server 2012 VL?

2. Timin

Timin MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2012
    Retail, Upgrade, OEM and Volume Licensing comparison

Hey,

Here is a comparison by the My Digital Life Editorial Team:

OEM: OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) license is a restricted version of Windows that included with a new computer. Manufacturers and vendors ship Windows with OEM license as it’s deeply discounted when compared with retail copy. OEM license has limitation that it can only perform a clean install or custom install, but not upgrade.

Volume Licensing: Volume licenses is a software license programs (depending on the Volume Licensing program, subscriber may receive media, or has the option to acquire media or supplemental media, documentation, and product support separately as needed) that are sold in bulk to corporate customers, in quantities of five or more at a time. There are actually many options and choices available for volume licensing, such as Open Value, Open Value Subscription, Open License, Select Plus, Select License, Enterprise Agreement, and Enterprise Subscription Agreement. Some editions of Windows, such as Windows 7 Enterprise, are available only through the Volume Licensing channel.

Retail: Windows operating system products that are acquired through a retail store (physical or online) are individually licensed and are activated. Retail version of Windows generally can be purchased in two license pricing levels, namely Full of Upgrade license.

Upgrade License – available at cheaper discounted price (for example see Windows 7 prices or Windows Vista prices
    ), upgrade license is targeted at end-users who already has a genuine license of previous version of Windows operating system, and wish to move to newer operating system. For example, upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7. Upgrade retail license can only be installed on a system that already has an OEM or full license.

Please note that with a OEM license your OEM provides support instead of MS.

Regards,

Timin

source:
    mydigitallife.net /differences-between-retail-oem-system-builder-volume-licensing-full-or-upgrade-license-for-windows

Edit:
    Had to break up link so I could post. Sorry admins if I have broken rules as I believe I should give credit to original author.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mzar720

mzar720 MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2012
    @Timin thanks for your explanition, i have i question i have downloaded the VL version, can i install it using a retail key or i have to install a retail one??

4. Timin

Timin MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2012
    For Server 2012 I am pretty sure that you will be able to activate it with a VL or Retail Product Key. I do not believe that their is a Server 2012 image that only accepts VL keys. Correct me if I am wrong.

However for Office you will need to convert it from VL to Retail if you wish to install with a Retail Key.

-Timin

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. velocidad

velocidad MDL Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Why are there 2 versions of Windows Server 2012 on MSDN, one VL and the other1 not VL?

The size is different but so many claim that you can activate not VL version with KMS, so what's the point on making two different iso's? any1 what's exacly the difference between VL and not VL?

6. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    The VL image will automatically install as a KMS client looking for a KMS server on the network to activate. This is the easiest and quickest for corporations who already have built the KMS infrastructure.

The retail image will require entering a key before installing. You can use it as a KMS client by providing the appropriate key.

For either one, you can use KMS client, MAK, retail or OEM keys - retail image before install, and either of them after.

7. Oz

Oz MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    #7 Oz, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
    If someone has a delta changing the

en_windows_server_2012_vl_x64_dvd_917758.iso

into:

en_windows_server_2012_x64_dvd_915478.iso

I would be interested

8. 2percent

2percent MDL Member

Sep 17, 2010
    #8 2percent, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
    Here is 917758_to_915478 and 915478_to_917758

Attached Files:

9. Oz

Oz MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    #9 Oz, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
    Thanks a lot 2percent, appreciated

EDIT: Got around to run the delta today, worked perfectly. :)