What's with some of these Android apps on Playstore?

Discussion in 'Mobile and Portable' started by ausernamenoonehas, Oct 31, 2015.

1. ausernamenoonehas

ausernamenoonehas MDL Member

Aug 2, 2015
    I have the Samsung Note 4 and I recently tried a new CM12.1 ROM (which I love) and figured because the new ROM I needed to do a new theme.

Found an awesome CM12 theme, found some really nice icons to match and lastly I needed a new clock widget.

Searching Playstore I found the perfect matching clock and went to download it and and ....

The first thing its says is its FREE!

Click the link and then its says In-app purchases.

Click Install and check this out ...

Needs access to:

In-app purchases.

Device & App History.
    (Allows the app to view one or more of: Information about activity on the device, which apps are running, browsing history and bookmarks)

Identity.
    (Uses one or more of: Accounts on the device, profile data)

Photos/Media/Files.
    (Uses one or more of: Files on the device, such as images, videos or audio, on the devices internal or external storage)

Device ID & Call Information.
    (Allows the app to determine the phone number and the device IDs, whether a call is active and the remote number connected by a call)

For a freakin clock? :eek:

Needless to say I didn't install it, and would never install such an intrusive application. I have to ask, what is the point of needing all this information? Is this a case of companies creating "free" apps in order to make the real money from selling your personal information?

I'm not new to Android, I know there are ways and means to still install the app and put a stop to all its spying ways, but the question still remains, what the ....??? For a clock :mad:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. sid_16

sid_16 MDL Giveaway Organiser

Oct 15, 2011
    1st root your device then install XPrivacy , it will allow you to install xposed framework then you can restrict those permission in your android device.
    [h=1][/h]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. morben

morben MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2011
    you mean: 1st root your device then install [flash .zip from recovery + install .apk from android] xposed framework, [install XPrivacy, activate it in xposed modules and reboot] it will allow you to install [use, XPrivacy has no effect without xposed installed. There are many xposed modules that you can install & XPivacy is one of them] XPrivacy then you can restrict those permission in your android device.