Whats your tweaks to keep win 10 from violaiting your privacy (to much)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by DavidXanatos, Jul 9, 2018.

1. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos MDL Senior Member

May 23, 2010
    Since windows 10 is violating users privacy almost at every opportunity.

I wanted to inquire how do you tweak you windows 10 installation to ensure as little (if not none) data gets transmitted to Microsoft?

I know there are some tools out there that promis to take care of it, but how can one be sure the job is done right if its not done by oneself. Or which tools do you consider doing a solid job and be reliable?

I played a bit in virtual machines with windows 10 and noticed that there is more to telemetry than just the one service, you also need to disable error reporting and a compatibility assistant, most tools for example only kill the telemetry service nothing more. and there are tasks to be removed also many tools don't do that.

I would generally say there are the following categories of malicious behavior users may want to disable:
    1. telemetry and error reporting
    2. advertisement, forcefully installed apps, user tracking
    3. submission of "samples" to Microsoft, speech, writing, windows defender crowd protection
    4. cloud services; Bing search in start menu, cortana, onedrive, MS online account
    5. forced windows updates

Now that the support end of windows 7 is coming to an end its time to look into how windows 10 can be made usable.

2. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    hehe at least for me I do not need programs or other solutions to delete / disable bad things from Windows 10 it's simple, use advanced settings of Windows Firewall and block whatever it takes just this;):):D:p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    You sure made your homework for someone, who has not been using 10. That pretty much sums it up, but it can be all disabled, at the cost of crippling some functionality of course.

5. DavidXanatos

May 23, 2010
    Well I thought ma way through a dozen VM's so i have some experience now with all the caveats of win 10.

Crippling some functionality is the goal of cause.

The GPO collection linked here: https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...lemetry-repository.63874/page-42#post-1442909 seams to mostly do the job.
    However you still need to manually disable telemetry and error reporting service.

6. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    ha ha ha what a joke u forget your ISP and browser track all u do plus everything else thats out their government agency use to monitor internet traffic. THEIR IS NO PRIVACY!!!

7. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    I think most members will agree with you, but you have to do the best you can.

8. DavidXanatos

May 23, 2010
    Well tracking people on he internet is kind of like CCTV on all streets.
    Tracing people on their PC's when they do not engage in internet browsing, is like having state monitored CCTV in your home.

9. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
    I do all my work, and anything of importance, using either my onion router setup + VPN through my enterprise server, or my employer's secure VPN.

10. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
  11. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
    ^^Exactly.It is quite a presumption that an avg person with no access to state resources can resist technological resources of a state using any means(aka so called vpn,tor,dns encryption etc).It is also quite another presumption that state would use all those resources to track you unless you are very important(& by that I mean in govt eyes).

Most you can hope is blocking of all those "customized ads" & "legit promotional emails" based on browsing profile & avoidance of those piracy letters from isp.In not so democratic countries this is more useful & can help save you from a jail trip should you decide to anonymously criticize someone important online.

12. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
    The general consensus of those of us who work in government-based global security, and attend DEF CON and SchmooCon conventions to see first-hand current tools used by the NSA for a plethora of their sneaky behavior, it's fairly evident they are more inept than you think. It's not their tools but their resources that has become the harbinger of their sketchy behavior.

I've been running a level 3 onion router for about a year now, which is hosted on my enterprise server in its own isolated virtual machine to prevent any interaction whatsoever of it with the server itself. This is actually how I run ALL databases on my server - each with its own, encrypted, shielded and completely isolated sandbox VMs. Nothing is ever run on my server that can interact whatsoever with the server itself.

If I utilize my isolated onion router, with my additional secure, encrypted VPN that people use to connect to the databases I host on the server, the datacenter that I get my DS3 connection from cannot even detect any data throughput from my line. My entire network becomes a blackspot. And mind you this datacenter is a subsidiary of a federal global security entity I work for, so they are not lackluster on their hardware by any stretch of the imagination.

The one thing I will say that the majority of people concerned about electronic security seem to overlook, is the juggernaut of salacious data: METADATA. It will never matter how secure your hardware, connections, etc. are if steps are not taken to eliminate any possibility of any and all metadata from becoming part of the internet.

13. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    Who cares about NSA, we are talking about real tracking. A computer without an internet connecting can be still tracked via a wall, but that does not mean, that you should just give up.

14. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    Hmm who shouldn't not afraid for anything;):rolleyes:

15. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I use a 'Semi-'Hardware Firewall (Smoothwall Express on an old Linux based Computer) deeply configured for my needs, and also running AV on it. Every in- and out-going traffic runs via that machine, no need anything more! And that applies for my whole LAN!

16. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
  17. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    I do not have a smartphone, nor TV. :cool: