When did MSE try to update?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by venu, Feb 19, 2010.

1. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Hey guys,
    Pl. help me out here. Wasnt too happy manually updating Microsoft security essentials everyday so changed the update interval to 1 in the registry (the well-known hack). Then manually updated once so i could check intervals.
    But theres no sign of MSE checking for updates every one hour. Looked at the eventlog and WindowsUpdate log. In the MSE GUI of course theres nothing to show what its been upto. Anybody know of a way to do this? Also any way to create a custom view in Eventlog to check MSE's online activities?

2. SoLoR

SoLoR MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2008
    #2 SoLoR, Feb 19, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
    Well i have set up MSSE update interval to 8h, i wasnt checking logs but i know its working, because sometimes i get 2x definition updates/day. However i never get more then that. I think MS creates one or sometimes 2 (when there is something important i guess) definitions/day so setting it on less then 8h seemed kinda useless. And this definitions are usualy created during night EU time / day US time.

3. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Ok, I checked the WindowsUpdate log again and MSE has checked for updates though not at dot 1 hour intervals....more like 1 hr 5 minutes or so. But ya, no point checking so frequently, will set a longer interval.

4. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Open note pad, paste the following text into it.

c:
    cd C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Essentials
    start /min MpCmdRun.exe -SignatureUpdate

Now select save as, make sure you sellect all files then type mse.cmd in the file name box and click save. Now place the MSE.cmd you just made in the directory of your choice, right click on it and select copy. Now go to the start menu>programs>startup right click on startup and select open, now right click on the explorer window and paste shortcut.

If you did it right everytime you start your computer you will see a minimized dos box and if you maximise it you will see where it says updating signiture files.................. (or something similar).

Simplelest way to force a manual update unless you never shutdown or logoff, if that is the case, you can make the file and then make a scheduled task for it in task scheduler.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Thanks Dolorous. Ya, am in the category that never shuts down. So will make a scheduled task.