When Vodka and laptop don't mix...lol

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by timesurfer, Jul 5, 2011.

1. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Hey,

Had a little too much fun last night and spilled just a splash of vodka on left side keyboard near caps lock and A key. Quickly turned laptop on it's left side to drain. It did not crash or turn off immediately. Then later it said force shutdown and crashed. Then it ran ok for many hours then crashed. Then this morning wouldn't boot just kept crashing or giving force shutdown window.

I took out HDD and to check for moisture then put back in and is running now

Also some softwares acting peculiar like peerblock all of a sudden

Any advice what's happening

Cheers :sith:...lol

2. ReelFiles

ReelFiles MDL Addicted

Mar 30, 2011
    If you're lucky, just the keyboard is ruined. Remove the keyboard and it should have a plastic coating over the bottom, there you will see your liquid pool up.
    You can try blow drying the keyboard or getting a cheap replacement off ebay if that don't fix it.

3. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #3 timesurfer, Jul 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
    (OP)
    Thanks

Do you know why it's crashing though. I mean I'm on it right now but I will remove KB and see if I see any liquid

When I first got my LT I spilled some bong water on it and it crashed then i put fan on it and it eventually cured it so I'm curious what makes it crash

4. ReelFiles

ReelFiles MDL Addicted

Mar 30, 2011
    Well, it could be that the water in the vodka is shorting out a bunch of circuits in the keyboard. Besides acting as if you are mashing down several keys repeatedly, it could be sending power back on lines that shouldn't have that much power on them. I am surprised the bong water didn't kill it, at least vodka has a lot of alcohol in it, so some of that would evaporate much faster than the water itself.

5. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Yea I thought the BW had killed it but I heard in Hardware class that electronics can be dried with chance of working so I put big fan on it and then tried. It died. I put fan on it for longer and all was well. So really it is shorting somehow then crashing

Using keys does not kill it

However, I did notice the External HDD I had which is on the left side USB did disconnect last night after the splash now it too is working

Maybe it just takes some time to dry I dunno...lol

Thanks

6. ReelFiles

ReelFiles MDL Addicted

Mar 30, 2011
    The problem with the bong water might be making the second spill worse. When you dried the bong water it had to have left some resin on the PCB, the alcohol in the vodka might have loosened up some of that dried resin which is now more like a little black goo.. sounds nasty lol.

7. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #7 Daz, Jul 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
    I once fixed a laptop that had drink spilled into it. It turns out they split it on the right side of the system which was lucky because on the left side it had a huge hole and fans underneath. All I had to do was clean it up and fit a new keyboard :)

Best thing to do is to take the keyboard off and maybe put the laptop someplace very warm for a while. If that doesn't work then you need to check all of the fans are running and that it's not got onto your RAM somehow. You will basically have to strip the laptop and clean up everything o_O

If you keep playing with it and it keeps shutting off then be careful as you can fry the system the more it happens.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Thanks it is running now I will report back if it crashes again :sith:

9. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Omfg

So check this out I have found out that after the "spill" I can't use the speaker outlet or plug. If I use the speaker outlet plug it will crash. If I plug headphones it will crash so obviously the power line to that is either f'cked or is still wet

So I will allow to dry and I'm happy to have found problem

Thanks

10. livinginswva

livinginswva MDL Member

Sep 5, 2010
    a buddy had a laptop that was spilled on a few months ago. Like i saw in a previous post, the plastic tray protected the motherboard, and the keyboard was messed up. we tested by unplugging the keyboard and then plugging in a USB keyboard. This worked sucessfully, so ordered a new kb from ebay, and the laptop is good as new after it's installation

11. 60cent

60cent MDL Senior Member

May 31, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
  13. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    lol...This thread turned into vodka thread but thanks for your non-vodka comment

Kids :eek: WTF

14. half Man Half Biscuit

half Man Half Biscuit MDL Addicted

Jun 1, 2011
    #15 half Man Half Biscuit, Jul 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  15. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #16 timesurfer, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
    (OP)
    So with just a tiny spill on left side of keyboard the only thing that is broken is audio plug usage

If used it gives msg closing (force shutdown) then crashes

Everything else works as did before

16. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Note:

I tried to use my headset and speakers and it's not shutting down so I guess it is not ruined just needed to wait for it to dry completely

coffee_vodka.jpg

17. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
  18. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011