Where are the Temporary Inernet Files in IE10?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Toink, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Toink

Toink MDL Member

Jul 5, 2007
  2. Cosmic101

Cosmic101 MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2012
    #2 Cosmic101, Oct 5, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
    You can view (and change) the location of your temporary Internet files as follows.

1. From the Tools menu, choose Options.
    2. From the General tab of the Internet options dialog box, click the Settings button in the Browsing History panel.
    3. The current temporary Internet files location appears near the middle of the dialog box, below the "Current Location" label.
    4. Use the Move folder button to change the current location.If you're sure you're looking in the right folder, it's possible there aren't any temporary files.
      Perhaps you've configured IE to clean-up after itself or perhaps there is a utility on your system that cleans things up.
      In addition, don't forget that certain settings in Windows Explorer will hide certain files from view; this helps prevent novice users from accidentally deleting something important. Mine are at C:\Users\COSMIC101\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files

3. Toink

Toink MDL Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Thank you for your reply, cosmic.

I'm pretty sure I've already done what you've posted prior to my posting. You pointed out that I may have set my IE to delete its cache automatically, which I actually do. But IE would only delete the cache upon closing the bowser - not when there's a Tab or IE Windows that's still open. I usually browse for the temporary files (in IE9) with IE still open. And yes, I also set my hidden files to 'show'.

May I know if you're also using IE10 and you can see your Temporary Internet Files? Because in my case I only see favicons and nothing else, no scripts, png, flv or any other files that's usually in the Temp Internet Files folder..

Thanks!

4. Cosmic101

Cosmic101 MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2012
    #4 Cosmic101, Oct 5, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
    Hi Toink,

I am using IE 10 and have it set to delete all files on close and checked to make sure all files can be seen.
    But i have to agree with you having a look at the files all i can see are favicons and my cookies. Very strange :confused: .

Sorry i should have checked better just had a quick look at the time.

But did have a thought i run IE 10 only in protected mode. I shall have a play with the settings and see if that will change it.

Yep, with protected mode turned off you can see all of the files etc in IE 10 temp folder.
    Hope that helps, I learn something new everyday.

5. Cosmic101

Cosmic101 MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2012
    #6 Cosmic101, Oct 6, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
    Hi Toink,

No I mean just protected mode, Hope the picture explains what i mean.

But disabling protected mode, all the time is not really a good idea on the big bad web.
    Then you'll need to restart IE10 before you then can see the files.
    And I can then, still only see the files from with in IE 10, But not in Windows explorer.

Basically IE 10 is kind of sand-boxed "Principle of least privilege" to protect the main OS from any security breaches in IE 10.
    View IE10 temp files.jpg

I have also found that you can view the files by using a command prompt with admin privileges.

Attached Files: