Where -ELSE- do you post for Android help besides here and/or XDA ??

Discussion in 'Linux' started by smallhagrid, Sep 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    #1 smallhagrid, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  2. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    Thanks for replying.
    Most of my attempts to get help there have either been totally ignored, or gotten openly nasty replies ONLY.
    It seems most of the prolific users there are just too high-tech for plebes like myself.

For example - I had a phone that I could not get rooted - posted there about it - and got flamed a bunch of times by several users simply because I was not able to do as they suggested.
    Another very prolific poster there then PM'd me to say that I should ignore those 2 because they are jerks, and he did try to help me.

End result:
    That Alcatel phone is now a very nice MP3 playing alarm clock next to the bed - unrooted still - but a good use for it as it cost so little.

Since then I've posted a number of queries at XDA - and gotten...exactly zero assistance with any of them.

I do read there when searching pulls up something that looks useful - and that is about all I do there now.

SO:
    I remain curious about OTHER helpful (non-XDA) spots ?!?

Thanks.

3. l33tissw00t

l33tissw00t MDL Addicted

Dec 6, 2012
    It's not top secret, and it's not super encrypted. It's just a chatroom.

4. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    Just caught me by surprise as I'd never had a site ask to use Telegram before in order just to see it:
    No biggie though.
    I've asked the devs of several apps if theirs would work for me in the LAN-to-Wifi setup and gotten replies to the affirmative, so I guess there's no real need for the sort of forum(s) I've been hoping to find.
    Thanks for replying.

5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Assistance depends on how wide spread the device is / is a target for modifications...

I am a member of XDA a long time (different username though). It has changed to the bad....a lot of rants and a lot of noobs (I do NOT mean inexperienced users who want simply assistance) I mean people spoiling threads because they are too lazy to read...and on the other side egocentric sociopaths with bad manners thinking to be better than others because they know a bit more....

ON XDA you need to find out which thread / post is useful (which user is reliable) and which not....some also post 'crap'....or even instructions that might soft-brick the device....

Besides of that the modification hype has settled down.......once I cooked own ROMS now I just root devices and make them viper4android ready and modify some configs...:)

There are also some non English forums which are not bad......

I myself am familiar with Samsung devices only so if you should have any questions about them in the future...I am here. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    #11 smallhagrid, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    (OP)
    Thanks Very, Very Much Yen:
    You have very clearly described the sort of stuff I have seen over at XDA.

My Android activities are centered around a pretty much nonexistent budget - finding uber-cheap devices that could be rooted & made useful has been a very educational adventure for me.

Given that I am an older guy with some pretty bad hearing problems, audiophile stuff like Viper4android has not attracted my attention.
    It always amazes me when I have a good hearing day and can sometimes hear all the stuff that most folks just take for granted.
    On those good days that is when I can genuinely enjoy listening to some music.
    Those days have been too few and pass much too quickly though.

As for specific devices, I haven't had any Samsung devices (yet ??).
    My 1st really good find was the LG L34C - such a nice little phone - but such a tiny screen !!
    Next I was very fortunate to get an LG Optimus Exceed2 - which is very nice & has a larger screen (phew !!).
    My 'daily driver' is the Kyocera Hydro Icon that I got for using with RingPlus, it is rugged & gets the job done well.
    Best of all now is the LG Volt 2 I was able to get - brand new for just $4.99 - if I'd known how nice that is I'd have gotten 2 of them.

So phone-wise I am in really good shape and I guess you could say that the LG phones have been best for me, mostly.

The reason for the OP here is that my focus has pretty much shifted to doing stuff with TV Boxes now.
    We'd gotten an un-rootable box a while back - set that one aside and got another that came rooted and works great.
    Just lately I set myself to finding a good way to use a phone as a remote and have found some good solutions.

Best of all for me, the un-rootable box could finally get rooted with a little info from a Freaktab poster.

Now I am finding that it is pretty much possible to do most anything on a TV Box with the many apps that exist - so in essence, a $35 box along with an added KB & mouse can do most anything that a PC is commonly used for...
    What a thrill !!

Of course I have no desire to ditch my desktop PC, still have lots of uses for it every day - but without making any real sacrifice space-wise I can also have a TV Box running Android at my same space, and all I have to do is change sources for the video to use it.

Between all the hobbyists who have made great efforts with it - and Android itself - really good things have come about...finally - something in the tech realm that does NOT suck.

7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    It is amazing what a 35$ TV box can do.

Anyway I had been in conflict what could be best for my needs concerning ‘TV’.

Current TVs have already a good connectivity some also Android (Sony), Samsung has got Tizen.
    The ‘smart’ capabilities of a TV alone are fine already….

Anyway I wanted a media server. I went for a box with cable/satellite tuners inside. It runs a Broadcom MIPS SoC and a 3TB HDD for recording and backup purposes (not only video stuff).
    It's capable of common streaming protocols and I am running FTP/CIFS for filesharing on it...it can stream any satellite/cable broadcast out of the box, plays most common audio/video formats...and comes with simple but useful apps/plugins such as Mediaportal and webradio app...and of course a Media-player...

The OS is a Linux distro so it’s ‘open’ without to be ‘rooted’….it’s connected to an app ‘store’ where there are free apps only.
    Since it is a free and open box the only 'issue' with it is the licensing of popular apps/codecs....

It is maintained by a voluntary community and famous in Europe especially Germany.

And of course I have got an Android tablet and phone…my activities on Android have settled down much, though.
    5 years ago I still spent almost all my spare time to Android..:)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I usually trust on my 'intuition' reading an entire thread or not, mostly I know when I start reading if it has been a good idea or not....also it depends on my 'will' to get something realized or not....41 pages to read why not.:)

A gold nugget to me is viper4android (there is NO better sound rendering engine/DSP not even from Sony or Samsung which rather make things worse.)
    It's the first thing I try to get to work on a new phone...

I wanted viper4android running on stock kernel (SEAndroid enforcing) and I wanted to disable all Samsung own sound manipulators...

I published a manual way to realize it after countless of hours of tests and trial and error.....I had been so happy about to have got it working that I took the efforts to write complete instructions...
    Some later said it's a cumbersome method there are flashable update.zips available..but....

All other 'all in one' solutions posted afterwards used incomplete/sloppy configs or other sound stuff added I don't need at all...sometimes I want to know how things work in detail...and my own configs.

And there are 'solutions' from people who obviously don't have the needed tech background...they have changed configs without to know what they really configure or used configs from a different device, lol...

9. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    #15 smallhagrid, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    (OP)
    Thanks for replying Yen.
    I do get what you mean when it comes to long threads.

My personally biggest discouragement in such long threads is when folks post 3-5 word non-replies into a thread whilst quoting the entirety of what came before - which makes what is already quite lengthy seem...endless.

You mention Viper4Android, and I am sorry that I cannot relate with that at all - simply because on a good day I am about 1/2 deaf - and on bad days it is a real struggle to hear, so I don't use small devices for multimedia a'tall.
    (A LOUD speakerphone & earbuds are my friends when it comes to making calls.)
    ((Arguments between diehard audiophiles about trivial details do give me pause to think funny thoughts though...!))

I am still working at getting our spare TV Box converted into a desktop usage scenario right now...

What I want from it most of all is to use a softphone app on it for multiple VOIP accounts, but have yet to find a working solution for it to have a microphone.

Everything else seems to be covered as far as clipboard, KB & mouse sharing, using the (presently vacant) HDMI input on my screen will cover video & sound - and then it'll make a very good way to use some services I have with sound output that even I will be able to hear well enough.

10. prashantsays

prashantsays MDL Member

Jun 13, 2016
    forums.yuplaygod.com

11. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    Thanks ??:
    I cannot see how this is related with my query as I do not have any YU device ??

12. Herischarles

Herischarles MDL Novice

Jan 30, 2017
    You can find a lot of different Android forums you can join available on the internet.