Where is SPEEDSTEP in Win7 ?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by michaelthemage, Aug 28, 2009.

1. michaelthemage

michaelthemage MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2009
    Have installed Win7 OEM on Dell M6300 with Extreme 2.8 dual core but with Win7 Ultimate I cannot find any setting to enable Speedstep.

In Vista and XP on same laptop, the voltage adjusted automatically but now its stuck at 2.8.

Is there a 'trick', workaround or just a setting to enable it. It couldn't be that Win7 has NO support for Speedstep, could it?!?

Also, this WinXP simulator which is built in, is that the same as the one you can download from MS? Or is this some additional feature?

Regards

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. michaelthemage

michaelthemage MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2009
    Yeah under those settings are % (5% or 100%). Doesn't seem to affect anything related to speedstep.

Yes I use this cpuid and another program and see that the cpu stays just at 2.8.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    Speedstep is controlled in the BIOS and when the processor detects it is idling it reduces its multiplier and voltage. Completley OS independant.

4. Opa

Opa MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    #5 Opa, Aug 29, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2009

are you sure it is enable in the BIOS?

because I see that you've modded your BIOS, maybe this is related with that? try to take a look at your bios settings ;)

5. Opa

Opa MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    Depend, OS can also manage it, I remember XP on my laptop when I was on performance mode then the multiplier was always on max... even on battery! I was able to choose between performance/adaptive/battery-life..

6. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    It can be, usually from preinstalled OEM software which make ACPI calls to manage low level functions unique to the laptop, like my netbook has an underclock mode in the taskbar, gotta click max battery life and it dims the display and halfs the clock speed to 750mhz (SLOW!)

7. Opa

Opa MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    My old laptop could go down to 250 MHz, trust me you don't wanna know how low it is (it was a pentium dothan) :D :D