Where is the 8 to 10 product key after a upgrade?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by taylorlawson, Apr 16, 2021.

1. taylorlawson

taylorlawson MDL Junior Member

Jan 1, 2017
    Just updated an old Windows pro machine from 8 to 10 which shows as activated but i can't find the product key to use with a ISO install?

Tried tools like jellybean, showkey and even VBS scripts but they don't show anything or it just shows bbbb-bbbb as the key?

The machine uses legacy bios so i can't get it from UEFI.

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  3. taylorlawson

Jan 1, 2017
    Thanks Enthousiast

I'll try it over the weekend and report back as i've unplugged the machine at the moment as i had enough.

The original 8 key was a MAK key.

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Then i can't predict the outcome on 10, i never (needed to) use(d) MAKs ever.

But like to know what the QT will report (don't post the key itself but i'd like to know if the QT reports the used key).

5. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    MAKs are generally not stored to the Registry.

Other keys can be removed with:
    Code:
    slmgr.vbs /cpky

6. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    If you perform a clean install of Win10 it should now activate with the generic default key. From the admin cmd prompt you can see some details of your current key with "slmgr /dli" or "slmgr /dlv"...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    If you really want to know the key that is stored on your computer, use yamicsoft Windows 10 Manager => System Information, for example, but you can also find it in encrypted form in the registry.
    Code:
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ => right panel => DigitalProductId
    To see this for real, you can use the following .vbs script but remember, it is a generic key and cannot be used to activate Windows. However, all users of the same version will find the same key on their computer after the actual activation, if was activated electronically or after using any genuine Windows 7, 8, 8.1 key.

Code:
    Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    MsgBox ConvertToKey(WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId"))
    Function ConvertToKey(Key)
    Const KeyOffset = 52
    i = 28
    Chars = "BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY2346789"
    Do
    Cur = 0
    x = 14
    Do
    Cur = Cur * 256
    Cur = Key(x + KeyOffset) + Cur
    Key(x + KeyOffset) = (Cur \ 24) And 255
    Cur = Cur Mod 24
    x = x -1
    Loop While x >= 0
    i = i -1
    KeyOutput = Mid(Chars, Cur + 1, 1) & KeyOutput
    If (((29 - i) Mod 6) = 0) And (i <> -1) Then
    i = i -1
    KeyOutput = "-" & KeyOutput
    End If
    Loop While i >= 0
    ConvertToKey = KeyOutput
    End Function

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. taylorlawson

Jan 1, 2017
    Thanks.

It just says activated Volume MAK key and a few digits of a key

Code:
    License Status Reason      : This computer has a valid Digital/Store License.
    Windows VL Key Management  : MAK {PKC}
    Activation Interval Time   : 0 days / 120 minutes
    Renewal Interval Time      : 7 days / 10080 minutes
    That's all it says , no key is shown.

9. taylorlawson

Jan 1, 2017
    @ kaljukas

I've tried multiple VB scripts including ones for powershell and it either doesn't show anything or it just shows the key as load of bbbbb-bbbbb-bbbbb

10. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    For me your situation a little confusing.
    At first, you said you upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10 and said that Windows 10 was activated.
    However, nowhere have you told me how Windows 8 was activated and what activation method was used there.
    If you use MAK or KMS, my suggested .vbs and other methods won't show anything. They only work if your Windows 8 was OEM or Retail and now Windows 10 is activated with a digital license. That is, you will see the message "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account".
    (Settings => Update and Security => Activation)
    So, how Your Windows 8 was activated and how Your current Windows 10 have been activated?

11. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Yeah MAKs aren't shown in the QT, there should be some more info in the report, under the stuff you published, thanks for testing:)

Your system has a HWID based on the MAK.

12. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
  13. taylorlawson

Jan 1, 2017
    Windows 8 pro activated years ago with a VL MAK key , i went to widows 10 website and ran the media creation tool and done a clean install upgrade.

Code:
    Detected .Net Version{s}   : v1.1.4322, v2.0.50727, v4.0.30319, v4.8 or later {Rev: 528372}
    Powershell Version{s}      : 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, 5.0, 5.1
    Current .Theme Detected    : aero.theme
    Wifi Adapter Status        : Not detected or the adapter's driver is not installed/operational..
    Licensing Channel {RCode}  : VL_MAK - {0x4004F401}  
    License Status Reason      : This computer has a valid Digital/Store License.
    Windows VL Key Management  : MAK {PKC}
    Activation Interval Time   : 0 days / 120 minutes
    Renewal Interval Time      : 7 days / 10080 minutes
      ==============================================[ Office Licensing Information ]==============================================  
    Microsoft Office           : Does not appear to be installed.
      ======================================================[ Miscellaneous ]=====================================================
    Detected Security Name{s}  : Windows Defender [Ref:W]
    WinDefender Service State  : Running/Enabled {Reg:0x2 Auto}
    Defender's Tamper Status   : Disabled
    Windows Firewall State     : Running {Reg:0x2 Auto}
      ==========================================[ Query Tool v114.0 - Report Completed ]==========================================

14. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    #15 sebus, Apr 17, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    MAK key is NEVER EVER stored on local machine in any form or shape

15. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    Well the Product Key program discovers not only the Windows activation code but also Internet Explorer (if it is installed of course) in this way the choice is yours naturally :)

16. If you have a legit MAK key,you should be able to visit the VLSC to get your key.

17. taylorlawson

Jan 1, 2017
    I'm not going to waste any more time on this as Win 10 is better than 8 but i still prefer Linux.

Thanks all for trying to help.

18. taylorlawson

Jan 1, 2017
    I missed this post yesterday , I'm guessing you never thought it through on how large companies deploy 1000's of machines? :)