Which AHCI driver on vintage (pre Ryzen) AMD systems ?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Dave_Ru, Mar 6, 2022.

1. Dave_Ru

Dave_Ru MDL Novice

Oct 13, 2021
    I've got a few old systems that run more than fine for many tasks and used the Simplix package and MDL simplix iso creation tool to get them updated with latest version of Win7. I have an 890FX based motherbard and a 790GX based one.
    I found on AMD's site they advice users to not use the AMD ahci driver on windows 10 systems. Then on a note at the bottom of the article (article PA-250 on AMD's website) it says that even on old systems using OSes pre Windows 10 (i.e. Win8 and Win7 ...) it is sometimes better to use the ACHI driver included in the OS by Microshaft.
    Now...
    The driver I get by default after installing Win7 on my 790GX board (haven't tried the other one, but might be different...) is indeed from M$ but it's from 2006!
    I also found, during my searches some articles and forum posts saying that on pre Win10 OSes one should try to avoid the default M$ driver...
    Also found one of the main problems, apart from instability, mentioned regarding the AMD AHCI driver is the lack of TRIM support. But I installed the AHCI driver from AMD's site (the one from 2015, there's also one from 2018...) and typed the command:
    Code:
    fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify
    , which returned 0 meaning TRIM is enabled...

So to sum it up this is a major cluster F*** of contraditory information...

Does anyone know what's the best choice ?

2. pm67310

pm67310 MDL Guru

Sep 6, 2011
    Amd driver

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    If you install the AMD chipset software & it doesn't install any AMD AHCI drivers then I would just stick to the OS drivers.
    If your going to try forcing them on, I'd make a backup first.
    This is still the case with modern hardware as well. Really, the only time to use AMD storage drivers is when setting up raid...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Dave_Ru

Dave_Ru MDL Novice

Oct 13, 2021
    The old Amd drivers I tried (pre 2015) didn't install the AHCI driver but the 2015 and after ones do. I ended up uninstalling it and using the default Windows7 one (from 2006!) that was working and performing fine. So far no problems at all.
    Thanks!