Which AntiVirus do you use on Windows 8?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ameykelkar, May 19, 2013.

?

Which Anti Virus do you prefer for Windows 8?

1. Bitdefender

2.3%
  2. Kaspersky

10.2%
  3. Norton

8.8%
  4. Avast!

9.7%
  5. AVG

1.4%
  6. Trend Micro

0.5%
  7. Windows Defender

29.2%
  8. ESET Nod32

14.8%
  9. Other

9.3%
  10. None

13.9%
  1. ameykelkar

ameykelkar MDL Member

May 8, 2011
    #1 ameykelkar, May 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Since I'm having problems with Windows Activation and I strongly feel it's because of some Virus or Malware, I would like to know what AntiVirus you are using in order to protect yourself from viruses on Windows 8 machines.

To begin with I was using
    Code:
    Avast Free Edition 
    and now have switched to
    Code:
    ESET Nod32 30 day trial version.

2. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    What comes in the box with Win8 for my personal PC. Nothing but Windows Defender for normal use. I use a virtual machine to test any files etc if I am unsure of the source (untrusted).

3. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    I use Norton from my ISP.Is well doing the job.

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    NONE! Even not Defender!! Also the Windows internal Firewall is disabled!

I use an old 486 with 1 GB Ram and 20GB HDD using Smoothwall Express. That machine is located between WAN (Modem) and LAN (Router & Switch), No Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse, handled via Web Browser.

Smoothwall Express is an Freeware Firewall which is highly configurable in any aspect. That way this machine is working like an Hardware Firewall (Cisco, Netscreen etc. alike) but expensive and more configurable. Only ports, which are needed in the system are open, all others are blocked. Workstation Computers are using Mac Addresses instead of IP's.

Don't need any AV etc. Apps which "eat's" resources from the workstation computers it's running on and nothing block the internal works. For emergency, I use Cure It from FreeDrWeb for to scan for Virus, Trojans, Rootkits etc if needed which is free as well.

The same we using on our corporate customer sites and system and didn't had any infection within this year. In last year it were only twice infected with 1 Virus and 1 BackDoor Trojan.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. MeMy&Myself

MeMy&Myself MDL Junior Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Windows Defender.

6. M0rriss0n

M0rriss0n MDL Senior Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Windows Defender
    Pale Moon with no script extension
    Common sense

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Revolve

Revolve MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2013
    Windows Defender is good enough for me. I don't download stupid things and I certainly wouldn't pay for an AV as the free ones work just as well.

8. BigW

BigW MDL Member

Apr 25, 2010
    Well the thirst thing on a new installed system should be to activate windows and then install every other application you want to use. A virgin install of Windows and a trusted and origianl install-medium is always able to activate properly. If it didn't activate then the activation methode would be at fault.

9. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    Works for me too.

10. Weedy

Weedy MDL Member

Mar 9, 2011
    I've just switched to Avast 8 (for science) but would recommend System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection over the built in Windows 8 Defender (which is the same as Security Essentials)

The reason being, that SCEP has Network inspection and Heuristics which Defender doesn't.

11. Rickkins

Rickkins MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Latest Eset Smart Security.

12. pennsylvaniaron

pennsylvaniaron MDL Member

Dec 4, 2009
    The problem I think many of us will see is after you are infected what do you do in a win 8 environment??? As of now COMBOFIX does not work with Win 8 and it is very difficult (for me at least) to get into safe mode. I do not know how to do it or if its even possible BEFORE loading Win 8. With prior Window OS's you could go into safe mode, run rkill, combofix, malwarebytes and a host of other anti malware products and 9 times out of 10 all infections were removed. Just last week I had an infected Win 8 machine. While in Win 8 I used the run command and typed shutdown /r /o. This eventually brought me to an advanced settings screen with a few choices. from recollection I think in the advanced category I chose to REFRESH win 8 which saved the personal files but brought the machine back to its initial state when purchased. I then had to again uninstall all the bloatware including all that Norton stuff like id theft, online backup, internet security etc. PIA. the good news is that it worked!

If anyone knows of a better way to rid win 8 of malware plz respond..Regards...

13. MeMy&Myself

MeMy&Myself MDL Junior Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Safe mode? Go to start, type msconfig, open it, click the second tab and there u have it.

14. pennsylvaniaron

pennsylvaniaron MDL Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Yes I know that is a method, however many viruses render a normal startup impossible. how do you enter safe mode BEFORE win 8 starts. Remember in Win 7 keep tapping the F8 key...Regards...

15. OldMX

OldMX MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    Do you realize the ammount of bulls**t you just typed in one sentence?

16. Jessica Alba

Jessica Alba MDL Expert

Jul 26, 2009
    @OldMX he is back to his old bulls**t ways again :eek:
    1 GB Ram in old 486 machine:busted_cop:

17. kastrel

kastrel MDL Member

Mar 7, 2013
    Windows firewall 8, would be enough? or need a other firewall? thanks

18. aniez

aniez MDL Novice

May 18, 2013