Which bootloader will not be detected?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by AnarethoS, Aug 1, 2009.

1. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    Hi everyone,

Currently, I have 3 different bootloader with SLIC 2.1 support.

1) Hazard bootloader
    2) Vista bootloader with SLIC 2.1 (modified by me)
    3) Wow

In (1) and (2), the original grub bootloader is modified with the SLIC table built-in. In (1) and (3), the SLIC table can not be selected while I can choose which one I want with (2).

But since (1) and (2) use a modified grub loader, I am thinking if M$ may be able, one day, to detect the bootloader and disable activation in Vista/W7. With WOW, since the grub boot loader is original (simply load a 98 floppy image that load grub4dos after modifying SLIC info), may be harder to detect.

So, which one should I use? All the 3 bootloaders works perfectly on my Toshiba (phoenix) and my EEE (AMI). I am just concerned about future detection by M$...

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. davefr

davefr MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    MS has the capability to detect any of these via updates. It's just a matter of how far they'll go.

Best advice is to turn off automatic updates and hand install updates after others have gone before you.

3. tazman137

tazman137 MDL Junior Member

Jul 17, 2009

So Hazar's should be safe?

This is MS - they put out bad updates on WU all the time, so I doubt they are going to care about screwing up peoples PCs. They havent in the past.

4. justinkb

justinkb MDL Member

Jul 16, 2008
    why would ms rewrite boot sectors man.

they will just detect the grldr, check if its used for activation cr**k and simply make win7 not activate.

their goal is not to remove the lo*ders, but to detect them.

bios mod is the only proper way to go.

5. PluG

PluG MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Best method is not useing a bootloader at all unless you have a bios that isnt modifiable. with SLIC2.1.

if thats the case like everyone has said bootloaders can be disabled by ms if they wanted but SLIC 2.1 bios`s are harder all they could to is disable the key we are useing and all we do is get a new OEM key.

you never know though what they will do when it hits stores.
    but by that time we should be all sorted for the time being ;)

6. Opa

Opa MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    For those who compare BIOS emulation VS hard-mod (physically modifying the BIOS), we should take a lot of detail into account:

Physically editing your BIOS is complex, it asks for special knowledge, and it is unsafe because if you fail editing your BIOS or/and flashing it, your motherboard might not work anymore and you will have to take it to a professional with specific material to flash the BIOS with a working version of the BIOS – since you won't be able to do it yourself because your motherboard won't boot anymore.

This is true and will always be. Exception is made for the some motherboard that have a rescue BIOS – but the complexity of the process remain.

Emulating OEM BIOS with grubloäder is an easy and safe method which is reliable since it works for years, and has been proved with Windows Vista already that Microsoft won't do anything about that.

Taking into consideration all this information, makes me recommend one-click act¡vators.

:)

7. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    Remember the time bomb crack, paradox crack and some other activations that got blacklisted after sp1 ? the only loader that did its job 100% whas vista loader 2 and vista loader 3 :cool:. But modding a bios is harder to detect :D

8. davefr

davefr MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    #8 davefr, Aug 2, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
    Yes, and if you want to stick with the manufacturer's BIOS improvement roadmap then each subsequent BIOS will need to be hand modified. (probably more of an issue with newer systems)

I agree and as long as the lo*ders have an easy uninstall feature just uninstall them and apply updated ones if news surfaces of "poison pill" updates from MS.

Just don't leave auto updates on!! Hand install them after news surfaces that they're benign.

9. JFMuggs

JFMuggs MDL Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Everybody take a deep breath. MS hasn't detected/disabled Vista systems using Vistalo*der which is virtually identically to all the Windows 7 lo*ders, so it's unlikely they're going to start now. Tons of BIOS's normally move ACPI and SLIC tables into RAM during startup (which is why they can be patched by lo*ders) and it's very difficult to tell who put them there without risking bringing bunches of legitimate systems down. How long is HP, Dell, and the rest of the OEM's out there going to tolerate selling Windows if MS issues updates that disables their legitimate systems.

Stop worrying about problems that don't even exit.

10. iamanoob

iamanoob MDL Senior Member

Feb 28, 2010
    i had orbit30's loader, daz's loader, and eXtreme's loader, installed and were all detected and blacklisted :(

today, i spent the time to figure out if my SLIC was 2.1, and manually installed a key and cert.

i just installed the WAT update, but will wait a few days before making any judgement, as it took a day or two with the loaders before my desktop went black.

i will keep everyone updated, as the information posted on this forum is priceless !

11. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    #11 WinFLP, Mar 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017