Which Download: Win 8 64 bit with Media Center

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by dougdude9, Feb 5, 2014.

1. dougdude9

dougdude9 MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2010
    All,
    I'm a little confused on which download I should get to try out Windows 8.1 with Media Center. In other words, I confused on the VL ones and non VL ones. Is OEM and RTM the samething?

Anyway, what I'm going for is Windows 8 (8.1) 64 bit with Media Center that all can be activated for me to try out. Would that be KMS activation or some other method? Or do the KMS activated versions even have media center?

Thanks!

2. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    There is no official ISO which contains media center since W8.0 and the forum rules will not allow the sharing of self made ISOs so you are left with discussions of "how to add" and "how to make" .. On these topics you will find an abundance of info if you're willing to simply type into the search engine ..

3. dougdude9

dougdude9 MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2010
    Thanks redroad!

That info does help me. I have been reading the various threads, but usually that only confuses me more. One thing I'm confused about is whats in the FAQ. It states...

Q. What's the Difference Between VL and Retail ?
    A. See here for comprehensive detail, some major points are VL can be activated by KMS whereas Retail can't. Pro VL has no ability to upgrade to ProWMC whereas Retail Pro can. Retail edition can easily be converted to VL by inserting (valid) KMS Key.

So it sounds like I will want Retail Pro so I have ability to add wmc. However, I can't find info on how to activate it as all the activation info seems to be KMS which I understand as being for VL.

Anyway, with all that said, I'm assuming I would want the Core/Pro 64 bit from the repository?

Thanks again!