Which Drivers do you install? Original or Manufacturer Updates?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by ian82, Apr 19, 2012.

?

Which Drivers do you install when you do a Fresh Windows Installation?

1. Original Drivers provided with my Notebook

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Latest Drivers from indepenent Manufacturers (nVIDIA, Intel, RealTek, etc)

100.0%
  1. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    I am always confused about this...I know that sometimes the Audio Drivers are better off to be installed from the original drivers and not the updated ones you may find online...

Example.... Install original audio drivers or the updated Realtek HD Audio r2.68 Drivers....... I noticed that my original drivers gave me louder sound with the SRS Premium plugin as opposed to when I installed the latest ones.. or maybe it's just in my head...Im not sure

Another example: which is better. to install the intel chipset drivers, intel rapid storage technology drivers, intel management engine components, intel HD Graphics from the original ones provided with the Notebook or the latest Intel updated ones?

What about the nVIDIA Drivers? My findings:

1) Original Drivers although old, I can properly select which app to use which graphics chipset, my internal Intel HD Graphics 3000 or nVIDIA GU GT555M

2) When I installed the latest nVIDIA drivers from nVIDIA 296.10 I got 150 3DMarks more in 3DMark11 for example, BUT, I couldn't choose which Graphics chipset Windows Media Player or Media Player Classic would use, the option was greyed out. But for other programs I was able to select which chipset to use. So I was left with one option, to globally set my Notebook to ALWAYS use the nVIDIA Chipset for all programs. Offcourse that is not a very good idea when on the run and battery life matters but is not a deal breaker for me as long as I get the best performance... very confusing really

What do you guys normally and what is the consensus about this?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...