Which firewall you use on W7 x64

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by windsman, Oct 8, 2010.

1. windsman

windsman MDL Expert

Jan 11, 2010
    #1 windsman, Oct 8, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  2. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2009
    I use the built-in Windows Firwall and I even think I shouldn't sometimes as I have NOD32.....I don't want anything slowing down my browsing experience.....what do u think

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. windsman

windsman MDL Expert

Jan 11, 2010
    #4 windsman, Oct 8, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
    (OP)
    @Matrix Leader

Built-in Firewall slow your surf than other 3rd party firewall (not all other firewall, but for example Jetico, or Outpost when you surf it's faster for me), Built in Firewall doesn't not protect you for specific attack based on HIPS test, of course ESET Antivirus doing very well but for me a 3rd party firewall is more secure.
    Maybe you Surf on Internet behind a Hardware firewall Routeur, in that's case the attack are point to the hardware firewall, but could be bypass so after you may have a second line defense.

@Sebus
    Good W7FC, in the best addiction to the built-in firewall because is the only firewall can run with the built-in windows firewall, because same driver is used so no conflict, with Windows 7 Firewall control you can more configure inbound and outbound application trafic.

You get the choice to disable Built-in Firewall or not when using W7FC FREE VERSION of course, So if you use the PLUS version Disable the Built-in.

windsman.

I LIKE SECURING PC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. donjulio0088

donjulio0088 MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2007
    Windows 7 firewall control here! Been using it fo awhile no issues at all. What more do you need? Everyone should be behind a router these days.

5. JOSO

JOSO MDL Novice

Jan 8, 2010
    you need more security....whit outpost firewal pro 7.0.4 you will have...windows firewal is not inaf...tray the test in pc-flank you will see what doo you need.....

6. donjulio0088

donjulio0088 MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2007
    Windows 7 firewall control x64.

The results of Stealth Test(PC-FLANK)

We have sent following packets to TCP:1 port of your machine:

TCP ping packet
    TCP NULL packet
    TCP FIN packet
    TCP XMAS packet
    UDP packet
    Here is the description of possible results on each sent packet:
    "Stealthed" - Means that your system (firewall) has successfuly passed the test by not responding to the packet we have sent to it.
    "Non-stealthed" - Means that your system (firewall) responded to the packet we have sent to it. What is more important, is that it also means that your computer is visible to others on the Internet that can be potentially dangerous.

Packet' type Status
    TCP "ping" stealthed
    TCP NULL stealthed
    TCP FIN stealthed
    TCP XMAS stealthed
    UDP stealthed

Recommendation:

Your computer is invisible to the others on the Internet!

7. Lich King

Lich King MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2009
    Windows Firewall is enough for me.. never had any problems..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. xaudiox

xaudiox MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    Comodo Firewall for me, very powerfull + feature rich firewall.
    And best of all Free !!

9. WhiteZero

WhiteZero MDL Junior Member

Nov 29, 2009
    3rd party firewalls are old school. Computer infiltration is all done by malware now-a-days, which will promptly get around ur firewall.

10. ailef

ailef MDL Senior Member

Nov 30, 2007
    I use the new comodo 5.0,
    people that never used it should give it a try, it's really a great piece of software.
    comodo 5.0 is the proof that you can get one of the best firewall available for free.

11. WhiteZero

WhiteZero MDL Junior Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Comodo pisses me off. It locked up my whole PC every time I tried to play a game. Even after trying to "train" it to games.

12. gamepoint

gamepoint MDL Senior Member

Jan 4, 2010
    no firewall..never get a virus

13. Ni3am

Ni3am MDL Novice

May 15, 2010
    I gotta say ive been using KIS for a while but im more concerned with malware then firewall issues these days.

14. carfal

carfal MDL Junior Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Have you tried the new "Game Mode" in v5.0?

15. dragonfire665

dragonfire665 MDL Senior Member

Sep 17, 2008
    i never was a big fan if windows firewall, not saying that is not a great piece of software. Well it wasnt at one point, but now it has gotten much better. However, even so i still im a fan of 3rd party firewall. My choice is CA Internet Security. To my testing, it has not slow down my computer, it takes little resources and is extremely easy to use. Right now im using 2010 and i have being using it since 2008, back in 2007.

16. applegate

applegate MDL Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Only use my router firewall. All W7 clients and SERVER 2K8R2 are off.

17. Orz

Orz MDL Novice

Oct 15, 2010
    I use Comodo Firewall. It's free ...

18. Anakunda

Anakunda MDL Senior Member

Feb 6, 2010
    I use COMODO since v4. It's fairly good and powerfull fw but has some annoyancies like Defender+ or problem starting service at v5 with specific hardware.
    But Comodo techies seem helpful at their support forum.

19. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    #20 sebus, Oct 15, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
    Only if the firewall is as dummy as default Win7, add to it Sphinx control & noting that you explicitly do NOT allow will not travel away from your system

sebus