Which free tool to remove Windows 7 Components

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bbalegere, Apr 23, 2018.

1. bbalegere

bbalegere MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2009
    Which free tool can I use to remove unwanted components/languages from a Windows 7 install.wim ?

I want a tool which actually physically removes the files so that the size of the install.wim is reduced and the installation footprint is also less.

I am not interested in tools which are just a GUI wrapper for DISM and offer component removal. I think these tools use the official/standard dism commands to remove components which actually does not reduce the size of the installation footprint.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. solarstone2149

solarstone2149 MDL Member

Dec 11, 2009
  4. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    format

5. cinescope

cinescope MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2018
    That tool is called brain. :D

You need to export the wim after the component removal or it will be even larger than before

6. bbalegere

bbalegere MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2009
    Which is better ? Component removal after integrating updates(simplix) or before integrating updating ?

7. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    RT7 has been abandoned for years now ;) the dev team moved on to winreducer, afaik.

8. bbalegere

bbalegere MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2009
    Looks like NTLIte and Winreducer are the only tools which seem to have a large database of components that can be removed.
    NTLite works very well, however lot of components are disabled in the free version.

Winreducer has an annoying popup in the free version. However it works only on offline windows(i.e mounting a install.wim) NTLite works on an online OS as for component removal.