Which installation media should I use to install Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by quaffle, Aug 18, 2015.

1. quaffle

quaffle MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2013
    #1 quaffle, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  2. drnoellyg

drnoellyg MDL Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Do an upgrade first(from inside Windows 8 run setup.exe of the mounted or burned ISO).
    Once this is done, your system will activate.
    After that, use any media you want for a clean install or perform a clean install from inside Windows 10.

Use any ISO you have downloaded as long as it's valid and the same as your upgraded Windows 10.

3. quaffle

quaffle MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2013
    Thanks. I understand the upgrade must be down FIRST from within Windows 8.1.

Thanks for the advice.

4. drnoellyg

drnoellyg MDL Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Yeah sorry, I was just over a thread where a guy did everything in his power not to to the upgrade process properly, despite being told a couple times and asking the same question over and over again.

Basically the tool will create the ISO (or download it and start the upgrade process right there and then). If you have Windows 8.1 Core you want to upgrade to Windows 10 Home, and if you're running Windows 8.1 Pro then you want Windows 10 Pro.

If you already have the ISO then go ahead and use that one instead of using the tool. Sounds like you know what you're doing, see you on the other side of Windows 10.

5. weberman

weberman MDL Junior Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Use Rufus to create an Install Disk. It will install in about a 1/4 of the time than from a DVD.

Good Luck

Web