Which Linux is for me ?!!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by xhemal1325, Oct 31, 2020.

1. xhemal1325

xhemal1325 MDL Member

May 24, 2014
    Hi guys ,

I have a lenovo g50-30 laptop, and its 6-7 years old , I want to install linux on it but i have never used linux before , where should i start ?!
    I need a linux to work for : Microsoft Office , Firefox ,pdf Reader,One drive, is there any linux distro to run those apps ?

Attached Files:

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Can I ask for more details, but in general it is a good enough computer that it could hold any Windows, especially if you say you want to use Microsoft Office and OneDrive.
    If so, then why just Linux?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    #5 smallhagrid, Oct 31, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    Linux enthusiast here - and BTW, I am not at all stupid, sorry:
    Nor am I "The worst thing in the world" - no matter what this member's PUBLICLY STATED OPINION may be.

The recent rash of name-callers here is very nasty & disappointing; Whether done in replies directly, or via their sig, as with what this member has done.

Now, back to the choices of office suites for a moment:
    U/M does come with L.O. included, and I have been removing it completely, for 2 very good reasons=>
    1 - In the 6.x series it was always very crashy & made messes (haven't tried the 7.x version yet - no further need...) ;
    2 - Its default install dumps a huge number of non-english fonts into the system, which is very excessive & annoying.

As to M$0 and/or 0nedrive as any sorts of reasons NOT to use Linux:
    As stated earlier - Freeoffice is very completely M$0 compatible, less of a resource hog than any other suite that I've used, and of course also...it is 100% free.

The very normal things that most folks need to do daily & in their work lives are quite well covered inside most Linux distros, so:
    PDFs, emails, browsing - all that stuff is included & no problem, and as one who does lots of heavy duty browsing=>
    My constant, daily Linux browser usages (including streaming videos about world conditions, etc.) have not caused my browsers to get laggy & suck up large amounts of resources.

Lastly - many, many folks (myself included) object to the M$ EULA concept which is very much like "ALL your files are belong to us." - which is really about the same as g00gle does & many folks have also begun to realize that when MY files are stored on YOUR server...they are really NOT my files anymore.

4. xhemal1325

xhemal1325 MDL Member

May 24, 2014
  5. Nimbus2000

Nimbus2000 MDL Senior Member

May 5, 2010
    OK, a Bay Trail Quad Core X64 CPU at 2167 - 2580 MHz and 8 GB of RAM. With that configuration I believe you can use just about any version of Linux you want. That SSD will really help speed things along. I currently have Linux Mint Cinnamon on one of my laptops with considerably less resources. While it is NOT amazingly fast, it is adequate.

The Lenovo support web site only lists drivers for Windows. That is really a non-issue in most cases because the Linux community provides drivers. Usually only really new or really rare hardware is not supported under Linux.

6. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
  7. kumaramy

kumaramy MDL Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Using Microsoft office is so painful thing when you use linux. Use online version of MS office if that suites you.
    You may find some linux office suites that can open MS office files but most of those apps fails/lacks somewhere to show the elements correctly. For this, watch youtube video to know which linux office suite opens MS office files more correctly.
    Adobe also don't really support that much for linux but there are so many other pdf apps that are available for linux.
    Incase of One Drive, i don't know if you can use it in linux but there is Google drive mount option in Gnome desktop environments (i hope you know what Desktop Environment is). You can mount google drive directly in your file manager.
    Firefox comes with many linux distributions by default so no worry about it.