Which Linux text editor saves files in format that is Windows notepad-compatible?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by win8netuser, Apr 18, 2014.

1. win8netuser

win8netuser MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2014
    #1 win8netuser, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    Original post was deleted after editing the spelling in the title.
    No time to rewrite all but if someone could answer the question in the title, it would be greatly appreciated.
    I need to be able to use my text files, saved on USB media, seamlessly between the LInux and Windows PCs I'm using.
    Thanks!

2. win8netuser

win8netuser MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2014
    i.e., I'm looking for a Linux text editor that can save text files in the same format as Windows Notepad, so there is no difference as to how the text looks in Notepad, after I have edited it in a Linux editor

3. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    In other words you're looking for a plaintext editor that doesn't do any formatting stuff. Notepad txt files are just that, plain text.

I don't know Linux editors but I'm thinking most of them handle plain text.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  5. win8netuser

win8netuser MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2014
    If I can explain better what I'm looking for?
    I'm not worried about the features any Linux editor would have, I'm sure there will be enough for my need.
    My search is focused on how the text file I edit in Linux can be read, after that in, back in Notepad.
    That's what the title of my post means.

For instance -- in the LPS distro the default editor (don't know its name) loads my Windows Notepad files and edits them fine, -- but after it saves them, they

are no longer formatted the same was as they were in Win Notepad. When I reopen the file in Win Notepad, all the carriage

returns have disappeared, all the paragraphs are no longer separated, they're like only a single text: the formatting done

/saved by both the Linux and the Notepad editors are not compatible, and I don't have time to redo the formatting each time I

switch from using my text file back and forth between a Linux editor and Notepad!
    So I'm looking for a Linux editor that will not cause problems for reading my files after that in Notepad.
    (Sorry copy-paste did not work well here, but no time to edit the double-spacing right now)

6. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I use to work only on the Server's Terminal, NOT the KDE etc. so it may not applies for what you're looking for.

The several Editors in Linux like vi, vim, nano, Joe, Pico etc. from which I mainly use just vi and vim!

The difference between Linux and Windows Editors is that the Linux editors mainly didn't using a carriage return and if you save an file in Linux just as simple text file, start reading them in Windows, all CR's are gone and the whole format isn't working anymore. In Linux editors you'll have to work with hotkey combinations. Depend on the editor you use, those key combos could be quitre different so you've to check for that key combos in that editor you use.

Ctrl + M is used for to implement the CR in many of them, Ctrl + O for to save the file, Ctrl + X for to close without saving if not used Ctrl + O upfront and, and, and!

So, start to check out for the editor('s) you use!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
  9. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    #9 EFA11, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  10. win8netuser

win8netuser MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2014
    Thanks, sounds very promising!
    To try it I'm thinking of using Linux Mint;
    which of these distros will gedit be included with:
    Linux MInt 16- mate, cfce,or kde?
    (and, it's OT, but if you don't mind, please tell me also, which of these has pcmanfs?)

11. win8netuser

win8netuser MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2014
    Exactly - but Linux does leave a souvenir, lol, the carriage returns are saved, as an ASCII character (I think), that looks like a white square in Windows.
    Do you know the ASCII # for it, and the ASCII # that will produce a carriage return in Windows?
    With these 2 values, I could use search-replace to return the document to a normal format in Windows.

12. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
  13. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
  14. ar_seven_am

ar_seven_am MDL Senior Member

Mar 7, 2010
    #16 ar_seven_am, May 2, 2014
    if u only need the gedit or kwrite or whatever, why not just download only the text editor instead install the whole os? an example run this in terminal

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gedit

or

Code:
    sudo apt-get install kwrite

15. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    #17 Superfly, May 6, 2014
    Yup, but the OP wanted a more extensive filesystem as well ...e.g. "Open as root" is a cool menu item..yeah sudo nautilus isn't exactly hard I know, but when gksudo/kdesudo also confuse some...:p

Anyway it's strange that we get asked for help, yet no report back of any success or failure... o_O

16. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    Windows text files have cr + lf characters (hex 0D 0A) at the end of each line. Unix style files have only the lf character (hex 0A). Use a hex editor to look at the files if you are not sure which you have. There are various utilities to interconvert.

If you have a unix style file that looks funny on notepad, simply load it with the MS wordpad/write program, insert then delete a blank space at the beginning, then save and exit wordpad. The conversion will be done.

17. duh

duh MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
    #19 duh, May 14, 2014
    kdesudo/gksudo to open files as super user/root? its a terrible idea.
    my suggestions, learn nano or joe or pico atleast and then graduate to vi/vim or emacs.
    i wonder how can you suggest a new user to do something this dangerous. he/she may
    screw up everything.
    sadly there is no short-cut to learning *nix/Linux. unless you get wet with your own
    sweat? you are where you where then, right now.
    so my simple advice is to grab a livecd, and learn to use the basic stuffs like commands
    and command line usage and then text editing with joe/nano/pico and then practice with
    vi/emacs.
    and then move to a real *nix/Linux system.
    "Anyway it's strange that we get asked for help, yet no report back of any success or failure... " -> terrible idea, hence no credit....
    thanks!
    -paul

p.s. OP almost forgot to mention the most important thing,.... lost in noise.
    if you are using a .deb based distro then?
    Code:
    apt-get install leafpad 
    if its rpm based? then i am not that sure
    thanks!
    -paul

18. duh

duh MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
    $ file filename
    should do that trick... why do i need to run ?
    $ hd -C filename
    thanks!
    -paul