Which Linux version for my OLD notebook ? ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ita, Feb 13, 2010.

1. ita

ita MDL Novice

Sep 12, 2009
    hii guys
    i saw on internet a lot of linux version but i dont know which linux is better for my old notebook

processor : 266mhz
    ram : 64-128 mb

2. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    xubuntu, runs on very old hardware. Get the alternative disk if you want even better performance.

Or puppy linux is also good on low spec

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ita

ita MDL Novice

Sep 12, 2009
    ok thx i am donwloading via torrent xubuntu 9.10 alternate iso

4. thebulletfromhell

thebulletfromhell MDL Novice

Jan 5, 2010
    Use Puppy Linux XFCE Edition, is fast. (Typing it on puppy XFCE on virtualbox xp on virtualbox windows 7 :))

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. vrchards

vrchards MDL Novice

Mar 6, 2010
    I just recently installed Mandriva 2009.1 on my AAO after using Debian Squeeze and I must say, Mdv done a heck of a job, everything seems to be working out the box more than Debian. Of course with debian, it doesn't include alot of non free stuff as mdv. But as elliott678 said, its more of a personal preference...

6. duh

duh MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
    skill level?
    expert? -> slack/lfs/arch/debian
    starter pack? -> rh9 and upgrade++

7. GraveR

GraveR MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2009
    Damn Small Linux seems interesting too, for less equipped machines.

8. recompiler

recompiler MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2009
    Space Reserved.....i saw this thread and i was thinkin the same thing.

9. izh34

izh34 MDL Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Thinking about using 10.04 Lubuntu. Best ever for my old dekstop.

10. computergeek

computergeek MDL Junior Member

Feb 14, 2010
    #10 computergeek, Sep 12, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
    Lubuntu 10.04 would be the best fit for your desktop if you want it to be beautiful and have a full Desktop manager. Puppy Linux is very nice too. Any distro that runs LXDE would run nice on it, definitly not XFCE, GNOME, KDE distros

11. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2009
    XUBUNTO would be the best for your old rig

12. Nimbus2000

Nimbus2000 MDL Senior Member

May 5, 2010
    A friend recently asked me to get his old computer that originally came with Windows ME up and running again. His primary use would be web surfing. The first thing I did was a hardware survey. He had a 600 MHz Celeron with 128 MB RAM and 6 GB hard drive. This machine would not support Windows XP and I was concerned about security vulnerabilities in the unsupported versions of older Windows. I then started searching for a suitable distribution of Linux.

After trying several, we ended up using Legacy OS, previously known as Teen Pup. All of the hardware was supported and performance was very good even though this machine did not have the minimum suggested RAM. We were also very pleased with the GUI. Many of the distros designed for low end hardware look horrible, so this came as a pleasant surprise.

I can highly recommend Legacy OS and suggest that you take a look at it.

13. gamepoint

gamepoint MDL Senior Member

Jan 4, 2010
    CrunchBang linux..it uses openbox..fast for old laptop and even faster on new ones

14. AmiJIm

AmiJIm MDL Novice

Nov 24, 2010
    How about Damn Small Linux?
    it is a really good distro.