Which Operating System should I ultimately use? Help appreciated!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SkullKid2000, Oct 16, 2013.

?

Which Operating System should I ultimately use?

Poll closed Oct 17, 2013.
  1. Windows 7

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Windows 8

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Windows 8.1

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. SkullKid2000

SkullKid2000 MDL Member

Jul 17, 2012
    #1 SkullKid2000, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
    Dear community,

I'm currently stuck between Windows 8.1, Windows 8 and Windows 7 and I wonder, which one is ultimately best to use?

I am well aware that Windows 8/8.1 supports DirectX 11(11.1?), and that its newer, BUT... the big question is, which should I ultimately use? I will let this poll decide which I should use :)

Also, I am very fond of the Classic Theme in Windows 7, but Windows 8/8.1 is also quite an interesting competitor here...

So, what do you think?

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I've almost switched Operating System at least once or twice a day, since then, I need help with which I should really stick with.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    I've tried W8 and like it's indepth explorer and the pdf app is cool but the start menu is kinda annoying and overkill I think. I think it even comes with an ISO burner, I forget?

I'd stick with W7 unless you like having the latest/greatest as most hipsters do :rolleyes:...lol

I'm voting on W7

TS

:shisha:

3. Gr818

Gr818 MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2013
    None of the above?

Linux is where you should be.

4. RawData

RawData MDL Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Use what fullfills your need best. No need to ask others to choose for you. :D

Personally, Im using Win7, despite of it's quirks like the brain dead Explorer.

Win8x is... well, take a mouthful of sand and start chewing. The experience is same. :(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. RawData

RawData MDL Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Erm... why should he be in the trashcan? :confused:

6. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    :eek:...lol

7. pun

pun MDL Senior Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Pros and cons as far as the average user is concerned:

Windows 7:
    PROS:
    Familiar UI (hence support options are far more diverse)
    Compatibility (definitely more compatible than 8)
    It takes exactly three (usually two) clicks of the mouse to shut down (applies to people who like to keep it simple)
    And if you're a regular pirate (which I DO NOT encourage!) then this should all be obvious to you

CONS:
    8 is newer and as of now is "the cool new kid on the block"
    Metro apps look hawtt! (Assuming you've used and liked them)

Windows 8:
    PROS:
    New kid in town, you get bragging rights (not really important if you ask me)
    Heavily touch-oriented (Only relevant if you use a touchscreen device)
    Marginally lighter on resources, so marginally better performance
    Task manager is *censored*-ing awesome. Honestly.
    Metro apps. 'nuff said. (AGAIN, ONLY for touch UI!)

CONS:
    Major changes in UI make it annoying to look for lots of stuff
    You get maximum functionality only with a M$ account, and each time you log on, it sends details to M$. Not nice.
    You will never get over the missing start button. Ever.

PROS:
    Start button is back. YAY.
    Minor but useful changes in UI.
    All the benefits of 8, with some small hassles here and there.

CONS:
    That upgrade. Slow, problematic and makes you hate M$.
    Still doesn't lose the annoying parts of 8.

Bottom line:
    What I've told you applies to novice users who find it tough to adjust to changes in UI. Besides, you're the best judge of what you want to use, and the most a stranger can do is type out boring reviews that you can read.
    I would advise going for whatever you find most comfortable to use (and suits your requirement).

Cheerio. Let us know what you go with.

8. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    If you have enough CPU, memory and disk space, install VirtualBox or VMWare. Then you can try all the O.S.'s you want.

9. matt167

matt167 MDL Junior Member

Oct 8, 2013
    #9 matt167, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
    IMO, it has been a rule of mine for years to skip every other version of Windows.. Win 95 was nice, but 98 was more stable. ME Sucked but windows 2000 was good. I actually pair 2000 and XP togther as XP is just a very refined Win 2k and they were released about a yr apart ( Feb '00- Aug '01 ).. Windows 8 got a lot of flack for not having a start menu and a few other things. I personally have only messed with win 8 on a friends computer and computers in the stores. I'm unimpressed. Win 7 gets my vote.. Extended support to 2020 if they do not up the support like they did Win XP

10. Paiva

Paiva MDL Developer

Apr 9, 2011
    After a long time using Windows 8 decided to go back to Windows 7.

Windows 7 works well.

Windows 8 system is for children to play.

11. Gerg

Gerg MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2013
    #11 Gerg, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
    ^^ This.

The main performance improvements to Win 8 are from stripping it out to make it suitable for tablets/phones running on battery.

Once you load up Win 8 with apps and antivirus the performance gap closes and you still have to deal with that kids aimed Xbox Start Screen which is useless using keyboard/mouse.

Might as well just use Win 7 rather than hacking Win 8 to look like Win 7 but still have all the shortcomings of Win 8 being downgraded and tuned for tablets.

12. halleync

halleync MDL Novice

Nov 11, 2013
    using Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 on different computers. I prefer Windows 7

13. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    Windows XP : for flashing phones
    Windows 7 : for torrents
    Windows 8.1 : for fastest web browsing using Chrome

14. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    You don't have to use just one.
    You can dual-boot win7 and win8.1.

Typically, though, it's more about support and product cycles.
    On the back end of every product cycle, the previous champion usually seems the best since they've worked out all the issues.
    What a lot of people seem to forget, is that at the beginning of every product cycle there's always a sh**-storm of problems.
    Even the mighty Win7 had tons of support issues.

Win8.x has some improvements over Win7. Most notably it has multithreaded most of the operations, so people with 4core+ processors will have a much faster experience.
    On the downside, it's trying to a do a TON more at the same time, so if your ram or hard disk are not up to it, you will have a bad time.

What it really boils down to, for if it's worth using Win8.x is:
    1) Do you have a system with components made in the last year or two tops?
    If not, stick to Win7 or use the x86 version of win8.x
    2) Are you going to be purchasing said product, or using one of our lovely activation bypasses on a non-legit download?

I personally feel like they over-charge for the Windows OS.
    But if you're not going to pay for them anyway, just try them and see what you think after a few days...

Most long-term users have a knee-jerk reation to win8's metro start screen.
    I personally never even see it since I changed my option to boot to desktop in win8.1

15. SkullKid2000

SkullKid2000 MDL Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Dear all,

Thanks for all kinds of input :) I really appreciate it!

As for now, I got this to share, in Swedish though.

Translation: Computer has been activated permanently ;)

I used my Windows 8 Pro key, and it worked like a charm with phone activation ^^

Attached Files: