Which UPS to get ?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by soamz, Jun 23, 2014.

1. soamz

soamz MDL Senior Member

Mar 12, 2011
    HI, I have a high end PC setup in my office for video editing.
    Its connected to a 800VA UPS, but whenever there is power cut, the computer goes off.

Looks like, the 800VA is not enough for the system while its rendering files.

Here is my configuration of PC.

Let me know, what solution you suggest. 2014-06-23_112307.jpg

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    The Batteries of an UPS are good for max 2 years! Said that: How old is your one? New batteries are not that costly as a new UPS! And an easy task to change them!!

Next 800VA is good for max 500Watts! On an High End Computer I would use min. 1kVA-1.2kVA UPS, not below! And if you use an huge high end monitor as well connected to the USP, go for 1,5kVA!! Also look that you've one with an PC-Interface, which you use for to 'keep' an eye on that device! That apps will display the status and Load while the Load should be never over 60% in normal use.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. soamz

soamz MDL Senior Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Okay so you suggest to get a 2000va UPS.

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #4 pisthai, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    First check how much Power you'll need for all devices connected to the UPS: Computer, Monitor and others. After that you've to calculate how much Watts you'll use. Watts are calculated by using the power value (Volt) multiply with Ampere which results in Watt.

Code:
     AV Voltage 230V, Ampere: 1.5A: 230 x 1.5 = 345Watts
    Normally you'll know the that the PDSU of your computer uses max. (let say) 600Watts. Now you need to add the consumption of the other also connected devices to that. A huge LCD Monitor could use as much as 280Watts(!) and that would be with your computer already 880Watts. If you're keen to also be online all times, you'll have the Modem/Router and your LAN Switch have connected to the UPS and maybe ever more devices.

Now for to get the size of the needed UPS, you have to calculate how big in VA that UPS should be. You'll need what PF (PowerFactor) should be used, max would be 0.8 but save would be 0.7. The Formula for the calculation is:

Code:
    The real power P in watts (W) is equal to the apparent power S in volt-amps (VA), times the power factor PF:
    P(W) =  S(VA) × PF 
    That would be resulting in an 100% Load, means the UPS would run on max power which never should be done. As I wrote in my other post the load under normal use and condition should no exceed 60%. So, if you power consumption is max 1000watts, the UPS should have at least 1700VA

Now sit down and do your calculation!

Maybe, it would be an good idea to use 2 UPS's, a big one for the Computer and a smaller one for the other devices. I use to have Computer and Monitor on an 1500VA UPS and the Modem/Router and 2 LAN switches on an 800VA UPS which cost less than an 2kVA UPS!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Dedek

Dedek MDL Member

Nov 30, 2010
    #5 Dedek, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
    What ? I am running my pc (4770k + 780ti kingpin) + 2 monitors + router + 5.1 logitech sound system + table lamp + external HDD in box using 700VA UPS. When power cuts out, even when I am gaming, it is completely stable. Never had a problem and it never shut down. I really dont know where you get your kVA UPSes.

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Than I would suggest that you sit down, get some information about Power/Electricity, the difference of Volt/Ampere/Watts, consumption, how to calculate such and also what's an PF! Done that, use the power details of your equipment, find out the complete consumption of that, calculate how much Watts your 700VA UPS is able to deliver and compare that with the total of calculated consumption of your equipment connected to the UPS is using. By an load of sudden percentage the time you'll be able to have all your equipment running you'll have just about max 5min by an load of 90% than the batteries are empty! As higher the permanent load is, as faster the Batteries are dead and the lifetime of UPS and Batteries declining!

7. Dedek

Dedek MDL Member

Nov 30, 2010
    You know, Mr. Calculator, the point of UPS is to provide time to turn off your equipement safely when power outage happens, or to "survive" few second/minutes of power outage without shut down. Without the load my pc can be 15-20 minutes turned on, and that is more than comfortable. Even 5 minutes in load is very comfortable, because that means when I am gaming my equipement will not turn off when outage happens and I can turn off the game and pc safely. That is everything it is about.

8. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    very true but pisthai speaks about a local power problem lasting for hours and afaik in Thailand this happens more often than in Czechoslovakia. So far his calculations are more than accurate

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #9 pisthai, Jun 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2014
    My dear friend from Czech, I'm not a gamer and for sure wouldn't lose my time with that useless, unappropriate, also expensive (if used under legal conditions and not pirated!! If later, it's just criminal!) stuff, not to talk about the bad psychological effect many of those game's having on humans of all ages!
    Fact is, there every time some 'rules' "How to's......" which explains the save use which should be taken in account all times, if the user like to get most out of the stuff. Those instruction also given and apply to UPS's and they should be followed! UPS's were invented for to use to get electronic equipment running in case of power loss to give the user time to safely save required data and/or switch down the equipment manually to avoid any error's etc.! When it came to computers and even more to Server's, the time for to save important data will need quite a bit of time, as well as safely turn off the machine which will exceed those short periods of seconds you're talking about!
    On the other hand, if you use an UPS with 100% Load, as it seems to be by use the devices you explained with your 700VA, equal to app. 450Watts, UPS, the power consumption of that UPS will be reach the border at all times, produce also more heat, beside that the lifetime is shorten by such use, and therefor has an environmental negative effect.

10. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @Dedek & pisthai

Please stay calm & discuss with peace. No need to use offensive languages.

11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #11 pisthai, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Some may not understand that Load and loading are 2 different things:
    Code:
    Load in an UPS is: Any electrical device connected to a power source is a 'load'. For a UPS, the load is the amount of current/power required by the attached electronic equipment.
    Loading is: charging a Battery to regain Power!

Also important is the PowerFactor, special using an UPS:

Lowcost UPS's like the one Mr. Czech claims to own, are unprotected for AC Ripple, which
    causes internal heating and deterioration of the battery poles. As higher the Load is, as more those AC Ripple affects the Batteries and shorten their lifetime.

Also, the Load Level will result in the time the UPS could be used, means could run the attached equipment, as higher the Load as shorten that time of using! Simple test: use 5 100Watt lamps connected to the UPS and disconnect the UPS from external power source. At an 700VA ups, the lamps just start's dimming after a minute! The Load of that 5 100W lamps are about 110%!

12. soamz

soamz MDL Senior Member

Mar 12, 2011
    So, what the easiest way to calculate and decide what power UPS to get ? :worthy:

13. Dedek

Dedek MDL Member

Nov 30, 2010
    What stuff are you smoking?

14. CODYQX4

CODYQX4 MDL Developer

Sep 4, 2009
    No, two for different things.

1 for my iMac, which is in the corner of a room. Another for TV+PS3+PS4+Cable Modem+Apple Time Capsule+Alarm Clock+Shave/trimmer kit, which all goes on the other side of the room.

I had no way to move all that stuff so it would go in one, and I maxed out the second one anyway as far as plugs go. I should get a new, larger USB HDD, like 4TB, and plug it in by the iMac UPS.

15. soamz

soamz MDL Senior Member

Mar 12, 2011

Okay, those wont need that much power anyway.

For me, the main power hogger is the Graphics card GTX670.

16. jellybelly

jellybelly MDL Member

Oct 30, 2009
    soamz, the point of a UPS is to provide temporary power to safely shut down your system.. as had been kind of stated in this thread already.. so with that said, if your pc is shutting down as soon as losing power...

1) maybe you need a new UPS battery
    2) make sure your devices are plugged in to the UPS sockets and not just surge protect sockets (if applicable to your ups model)
    3) only plug in the necessities.. your CPU and monitor are the only things that need to be running on the UPS in order to continue use.
    4) make sure the UPS is configured to allow runtime and not to just shut down the pc.

If you think the UPS is not rated highly enough for what you want to do... then... maybe you need a new one. However, you said video rendering.. so.. whats the most amount of time needed to finish rendering your videos in a power outage? If you need 3 hours, you're not going to get a UPS for that. Again, they are made to safely shut down your pc until power is restored.

A $5300 enterprise grade UPS from CyberPower, 10,000 VA, has 4 minutes of run time at full load.

You won't get any UPS to allow you to continue rendering video files without power.

17. jellybelly

jellybelly MDL Member

Oct 30, 2009
    You don't need another thread for the same question.

You won't get any UPS to continue rendering files on battery power.