Which version am I looking for (OEM,VL or RTM)?

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Mopard, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Mopard

Mopard MDL Novice

Mar 29, 2013
    I'm a little confused with OEM, VL and RTM

Which version of XP is the one that prompts you to insert a key? I remember that I used to apply a "Golden key" during installation process and make Windows be genuine.

I made this thread because I had found many downloads but I don't know which one is the one I need. I tried to install a VL version (the only one I've found in Spanish) using a USB memory and it takes like an hour and a half to copy the files to the hard drive and once it's done it just logs on Windows 7, it doesn't continue with the installation process and it doesn't give me the chance to format any partition or choose a partition to install Windows.

can you guys tell me where can I download it?
    I need Windows XP PRO x86 Spanish

Thanks in advanced! :biggrin:

2. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    one does not simply copy files to a computer and have XP. You need to burn the XP iso to a cd-rom or bootable USB device, and then reboot to that device to install XP.

OEM comes on the system (original equipment manufacturer)
    VL is volume license for companies etc.
    RTM is release to manufacturer, and is the retail version you would buy at a store.

With that said, have you checked for drivers for the machine? Installing XP to a Win7 machine, you may end up with no internet connection because you have no drivers for wifi or Ethernet. If that happens, you will need an alternate route to find drivers to get the machine up and running, if you do manage to get XP installed at all.

3. Mopard

Mopard MDL Novice

Mar 29, 2013
    #3 Mopard, Apr 4, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
    (OP)
    I'm using a bootable USB and my PC is capable of doing it. When it boots from the USB it starts copying installation files to the HDD automatically, after it's done it reboots and loads Windows 7 again. I'm using WinUSB Maker v2.0 BETA 2 from this forum BTW.

Thank you!

My PC came with Windows XP Home but I've been using XP PRO since ever and now I'm using Windows 7, in fact, I have Windows 7 Ultimate running and Windows XP PRO on a Windows.Old folder. All I want to do is format my partitions (System and Files) and re-install XP PRO.

I think I've found the XP PRO that I need
    Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3 (x86) - CD (Spanish)
    SHA1:11ffce4604bbf627c5695e30c2238266e214c5db

and I used the manual method to copy it to a USB (the one that uses XCOPY) but now I get the error message "bootmgr is missing" and I have to set the bios to boot from HDD to get back to Windows 7.

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  5. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    Sorry, I misunderstood you then. I thought you were simply copying the files to the computer lol. Neighbors wife actually poured oil all over her engine once, because her husband said to add a quart of oil to the engine lol So you never know :D

Urie, has you covered.

6. Mopard

Mopard MDL Novice

Mar 29, 2013
    #6 Mopard, Apr 4, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
    (OP)
    I used default configuration:
    -NTFS
    -Add fixes for Old BIOS: Unchecked
    and it prompts me to Press any key to boot from USB, once I hit Enter it restarts my PC and prompts me again.

then I used
    -FAT32
    -Add fixes for Old BIOS: Checked
    prompts me to Press any key to boot from USB but it doesn't do anything, just the "Press..." message and the blinking input.

added the ISO file both times of course.

LOL :p

UPDATE

I forgot to mention that I get some message about not finding HDD to boot, press Ctrl Alt Del to reboot every time I turn on the computer, then I wait for 30 seconds or so to reboot and it loads Windows 7 properly... maybe it has something to do with my problem.

UPDATE

Now I used WinSetupFromUSB and it starts loading the installation files but suddenly a blue screen shows up with this error message:
    STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF7C4E524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

And this is what I found on M$ website
    so... what's up with that people?
    I did notice that a file called OEMBIOS.??? was being copied while installing the Windows XP PRO VL that I found in MDL... any chance that's the one causing me problems?

7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  8. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    And you also have a lot to learn...

9. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #9 LatinMcG, Apr 5, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
    7B = sata drive not being seen due to setup needing the drivers.. to load press F6 then load special sata chipset drivers not in XP. (floppy disk needed)
    or check in bios for sata mode ..set to ide not ahci.

or u might have to fixboot and fixmbr of hdd with cd as rufus likely thinks usb is C: ??

not sure if u can slipstream into it and work with rufus (i use rufus not winsetupusb).. i think i did use sp2 with intel sata drivers slipstreamed with nlite iso

10. Mopard

Mopard MDL Novice

Mar 29, 2013
    Thank you! I wiped my drive and installed Windows. I'm still getting this error message when I turn on the computer:

Reebot and select proper boot device
    Or insert boot media in selected boot device

Should I perform a FIXMBR and FIXBOOT?
    And I thank god for that!

11. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    If the windows installed, are you sure the harddisk is selected in bios as primary boot??

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Mopard

Mopard MDL Novice

Mar 29, 2013
    Yes... It's the first option to boot from.

it happens only when I turn on the computer, I just wait 30 secs. or so and press Ctrl Alt Del and my PC works fine... It doesn't happen when I'm already on Windows and restart the PC.

I already did a CHKDSK to repair but the message is still there.

13. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  14. Mopard

Mopard MDL Novice

Mar 29, 2013
    #14 Mopard, Apr 7, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
    (OP)

Desktop Intel D915GAG (quite old)
    BIOS is updated

the only SATA configuration I can see is this:

BIOS / Advanced / Drive configuration
    ATA/IDE Configuration [Enhanced]

DISABLED:
    All IDE resources disabled.

LEGACY:
    Up to 2 IDE channels enabled for OS requiring legacy IDE operation.

ENHANCED:
    All SATA and PATA resources enabled.

I noticed that USB boot was still Enabled but I disabled it and I'm still getting the error message. I already installed Windows and I'm able to access it, the thing is that I get that message every time I turn on the computer and I just press Ctrl Alt Del and it boots fine. I loaded BIOS defaults BTW and it didn't fix the problem.

Nothing fancy plugged in, just standard keyboard and mouse PS/2.

I've been Google-ing my problem but nobody is under my circumstances because I am able to log on Windows. I've seen people that have done FIXMBR and FIXBOOT and ended up with an unreachable (useless) HD.

15. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Are your bios settings getting saved perhaps you need to renew cmos battery.

16. Mopard

Mopard MDL Novice

Mar 29, 2013
    BIOS displays every changes I do (I assume is because it's saving them) but the battery thing makes sense since the PC is like 6 or 7 years old, perhaps the battery is just about to die and now it started to show the symptoms... hopefully it's not the HD the one who's dying cuz it has suffer many forced shutdowns over the years. I'll buy a new battery and I'll be posting an update tomorrow afternoon, or maybe earlier if I fix the problem before I go to buy the battery.

17. Mopard

Mopard MDL Novice

Mar 29, 2013
    The moment I posted my last comment I realise that my HD has a jumper which I tought it was weird for a SATA HD so I investigated about it and I realized it's just for Enabling/Disabling some features and one should not move the jumper if your PC is for home use... but I found this tool "Western Digital - Data Lifeguard Diagnostic" and I just made a test after reading your comment and the test says the HD is perfectly fine.

18. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Jumpers on SATA2 or SATA3 HDDs are usually for compatibility with the next lower SATA interface (SATA2 with SATA1, SATA3 with SATA2 but not SATA1).

The tool I mentioned can be run continuously to check drive health values (SMART data). As a nice bonus, it displays HDD temp in the tray.