Which Version of Win 10 for New Laptop

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by c0ldhart, Oct 28, 2018.

1. c0ldhart

c0ldhart MDL Junior Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Recently i bought Acer Nitro 5 Ryzen 5 Laptop( With Windows 10 Home ) so I'm itching to install Windows 10 Pro ( 1809 ). So i wanted to ask some following question since its my first laptop so i lack depth of knowledge so i apologize for any noob question.

1> I created custom Windows 10 pro iso ( By integrating Updates & removing some features ) few months ago for my desktop. can i use that iso to install Windows 10 on my laptop or laptop's windows 10 pro is Completely different animal altogether ?

2> Can i use Microsoft ToolKit from KMS Tools SubForum to activate laptop's Windows 10 Pro or is there any other method to activate it or even better can i use windows 10 Home Genuine License which bundles with laptop to activate windows 10 Pro ?

3>is there anything i should worry about Before i remove company installed Windows 10 home for My own Windows 10 Pro ( Any Precaution Like Warranty Discontinuation or Unstable System due to Custom OS etc ).

4>Will Windows 10 Pro Consume more battery than Home since pro has more features ?

2. SL2

SL2 MDL Member

Jan 18, 2012
    The advantages of using Pro are very few, and most of them doesn't make any difference for most users. If you don't know why you should have Pro then I guess you don't need it.

Don't use your old ISO as it's not 1809 (I guess?), as it will begin by updating to 1809 = your integrated updates are useless now. No need to integrate anything as drivers will get installed automatically, and you can remove features/apps afterwards.

No point in making custom ISOs anymore as they become obsolete within <6 months, it's a waste of time. This is coming from me who used to nlite the s**t out of W2000, XP, W2003......

I'd recommend a clean install as it will free up maybe 25 - 40 GB from the SSD.

3. c0ldhart

Dec 16, 2012
    does That means iso & Activation for Pro Version of Desktop & Laptop is not different ?
    so all need to do is just download New drivers from Acer Site & download any new iso from 1809 Thread & it will work on Laptop just fine with KMS Tools. I don't have to worry about warranty Void or any other distability. Correct me if I'm Wrong.
    Is it possible to activate pro version with bundled home License?

4. ForrestGump

ForrestGump MDL Member

Oct 19, 2018
    It's the same.

you won't need to install the needed drivers as they will already installed by default once the installation is finished. For the activation, any kms tool will do the job.
    Regarding warranty, as long as you don't disasemble your machine and change a component, it will still be in effect.

No.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
    Use the pro version at the minimum.Home version is much more crippled than pro version & in fact many popular privacy/optimization tools/policies here don't even work correctly on home version.

Also last but not least since MS is already giving win 10 pro for free I don't see any reason not to use it over home version.Just free upgrade from win 7 ultimate(activated using daz loader from here) to win 10 pro on some older system or a virtual machine & then use a MS account to transfer that genuine free win 10 pro license to activate win 10 pro on your laptop.

6. z110110

z110110 MDL Junior Member

Apr 15, 2017
    LTSB/LTSC is a good choice if it is not entertainment.
    The problem of activation is not a problem.

7. SL2

SL2 MDL Member

Jan 18, 2012
    I've used gatherosstate many times, but never in a VM. Do you have a link describing how to do it, or is it just as simple as it sounds?

8. ForrestGump

ForrestGump MDL Member

Oct 19, 2018
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. @c0ldhart
    Get a latest Windows 10 consumer iso,
    Don't use Home edition, not only because there is no group policy available but its crippled with lots of ads in start menu and auto download of new apps,
    but pro version also have these ads and auto download of apps + group policy regarding update is ineffective,
    so pro is a bad choice as well,

Use Education edition, (available in consumer iso)
    It have all the features of enterprise + all group policies are effective + no start menu ads and auto download of apps + you can download this iso direct from MS Link.

Now since your laptop has license for home, then while installation it'll automatically select home edition,
    to circumvent this,
    open notepad and paste
    Code:
    [EditionID]

[Channel]
    Retail
    [VL]

and save it as ei.cfg
    copy this file to sources folder of the iso and do a clean install, now you can see all the edition while installation.

10. SL2

SL2 MDL Member

Jan 18, 2012
    I agree that the OP might as well pick a better version than Pro if he's going to do KMS anyway,
    but those apps you talk about are easily avoided by unpinning them from Start before connecting to internet for the first time, and install OO Shutup.

11. #11 Deleted member 1032214, Oct 29, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2018
    Those new suggested apps appear after connecting to internet.
    some apps only have shortcut link and some full download and install without asking.
    those suggestion aren't only one time, but they appear again even after you unpin and uninstall them.

better option is get yourself a edition that doesn't have suggested content by default, and have proper functioning group policy, (that Edition is Education)

and btw ooshutup shouldn't be used, it breaks some useful os functionality, if anyone want to tinker their os then do it manually with group policy carefully and remember and understand what you did.

12. SL2

SL2 MDL Member

Jan 18, 2012
  13. TrustMe

TrustMe MDL Member

May 2, 2013
    One thing I would do is image the hard drive before you make any changes. I just purchased a new laptop two weeks a go. The first time I powered it up, I booted directly into Macrium Reflect (free) recovery media and created an image. I like having the choice of restoring it back to factory condition.

14. c0ldhart

Dec 16, 2012
    Thanks guys for help
    Is OO shutup app for Stopping all spying & meaningless Crapware? if yes then im fine as long as Shutup Installed with Pro or do i need some other apps to stop Win 10 pro from Spying & Such sh*t ?
    Is education edition is better than pro ?( I was under delusion pro is the best )
    Does home edition has speed limit on copy Paste through USB HDD Because i get 100MBPS laptop to PenDrive for write but On USB HDD Dock i only get 300 to 400 KBPS but same HDD & Dock gives around 90 to 100 MBPS Write on my friends system.

15. c0ldhart

Dec 16, 2012
    Can i Activate Education Edition ( 1809 ) with KMS like Microsoft ToolKit ?
    I have Win10_1809_EnglishInternational_x64 ISO, does that iso have education version or do i have to download Some Other ISO for Education Edition ?

16. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    The Enterprise and Education Edition of Windows 10 is the most complete AND cleaned Windows 10. Both of them are VL (Volume License) Editions and used KMS Activation.

Regarding the transfer speed, 300-400KBps is the speed of USB2, therefore it seems to be that maybe the Dock (or so) is just an older USB2 instead of USB 3/1, which has a speed of 5/6gbps. If that dock works on a different machine faster, you may connect on your machine to the wrong USB(2) port! Check the color of those connectors, USB2 are white while USB3/3.1 are blue! It couls also be that the USB Cable may have a problem.

To get 100MBps on the Pendrive, shows that those are USB3/3.1

17. c0ldhart

Dec 16, 2012
    I connected Dock in USB 3 (Blue Color Port) of Laptop. In very same port Pendrive gives 100 MBPS speed & same dock with same wire & HDD gives 90 to 100 MBPS on other system so dock, HDD & wire not the issue. Thats why i asked if im overlooking some unknown parameter of Win 10 Home, Am I?

18. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    If that is the case, first at all I would do a CLEAN install of Windows 10. That would be the only way to find out if it's a problem of the already installed OS. And for sure, I would use a neutral new ISO for that installation and not the recovery of the 'Original' one, which may exist in a Recovery Partition!

Years ago I bought a Recovery DVD from Acer for my Laptop, because of the terrible OS on Recovery Partition, and had to find out later, they sold me a counterfeit Recovery-OS! Got back the money later on from Acer and a real Recovery DVD too! Since I don't buy any new Laptop with pre-installed OS!

19. elzna

elzna MDL Senior Member

Aug 28, 2013
    ltsc 2019 but heavily debloated with a lot of reg files. otherwise it's a crap version.