which W7version will be best for a netbook???

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by christian666, Jul 20, 2010.

1. christian666

christian666 MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    i have a netbook with the following spec:
    N450
    1GB
    160GB

which of the W7 version should i install that is not the starter version

2. Bosh

Bosh MDL Developer

May 30, 2010
    #2 Bosh, Jul 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
    I would say Home Premium, the Pro and the Ultimate have things (i.e. running services) that you don't need (asuming you're an average netbook user) and system resources are one of the most important things when choosing an OS for a netbook.

I have an HP mini 110 and it works with the Home Premium just as well as with the Starter, but with the nice aero style

3. Alphawaves

Alphawaves Super Moderator/Developer
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Personally i would install Professional..

Alfa:);)

4. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    All win 7 versions have the same size on dvd and on install, and if you are paying, then home premium would be the best value. Pro does not make sense since the price difference with Ultimate is not much. If one can buy Pro, then a small extra gets Ultimate. Home Pre. is a lot cheaper than Pro, which is only insignificantly cheaper than Ultimate.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Alphawaves

Alphawaves Super Moderator/Developer
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2008
  6. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    #7 acyuta, Jul 20, 2010
    My own take on Ultimate's features is that they are useful but not essential if one has to save money. The average person may have no use for them at all. If prices go down (they haven't), then go for Ult. Better to spend money on hardware. If native language OS is not a problem (not for me since there is no Hindi lang. pack), then HP is the best. I do not know if Home P enables language packs. If it does, just download the appropriate lang. pack. Frankly I use Enterprise/Ultimate because I get it for free. But it is tiresome to hide all the language pack updates in the optional updates. Do a system image restore and they have to be hidden again. Never used Bitlocker. The biggest problem in Ent./Ult. (AFAIK) is the 100MB sys. partition. No problem with that size at all but win 7 has a bug here: This sys. partition often shows less than 40 MB and then win 7 inbuilt image backups (not restore) fail. Defrag, shut down, restart, and hope that it increases to >40 MB on its own (which it does, only not sure after how many tries). One has to increase the size to at least 200 MB for sys. imaging to work 100%.

Pro has a small problem which can be fixed easily. Games are disabled by default but are there. Programs and features can enable them. Just a restart after execution.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    I have to say Home Premium as well dude. As for Pro vs Ultimate, the reason ppl would buy pro is because it is a Volume edition when Ultimate is not. That is why Pro allows MAK activation.

8. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    That is true. However, if one has the MAK key, that should also work for Enterprise which is the same as Ultimate in all respects (except for the most visible difference of games disabling, which is a minor fix). If the same key activates both Enterprise and Pro, then why Pro. I have the legendary MAK (which some say will be blocked soon) and have both Enter. and Pro as backups.

Of course, Enterprise has to be downloaded separately, whereas Pro can be made out of any non-Enterprise iso simply by ei.cfg utility. Bottomline: all non-enterprise versions require only one download. If you have a MAK key, then Enterprise is also available, but has to be downloaded additionally. If you do not want to download but have MAK, then Pro is the one.

9. christian666

Feb 24, 2010
    thats a very good point that i did not know about the size of w7 version, that they all are the same size, in this case i think i will just install to this bb w7u this i have it already and use daz loader. now i need to figure how to place the os onto a usb and then make it run from there... any knows how to?

10. christian666

Feb 24, 2010
    whats MAK key?????

11. jupier2k

jupier2k MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
    MAK stands for Multiple Activation Key

12. FattysGoneWild

FattysGoneWild MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    I would go with Home Premium for sure.

13. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2009
    I used Windows 7 Basic on my Samsung NC10 Netbook which has a 1.6 GHz.Intel Atom CPU + 2 GB RAM and GOD was it slow! I downgraded to Windows XP after a week and noticed a big improvement.

You can use it but I wouldn't suggest

14. killercat

killercat MDL Member

May 28, 2010
    home premium

15. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Isn't there an lite version or something that could also be suggested?

16. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    #17 sebus, Jul 20, 2010
    Single core Atom?
    That would be the show killer

Maybe the Starter version would be right for such processor

Or even XP FLP in fact

sebus

17. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    The only one I can think of besided HP or HB is Embedded. Embedded is kinda like a win7 but with some stuff stripped out and "NO WAT!" lol

18. Orbiting234

Orbiting234 MDL Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Home Premium is NOT the best choice for a netbook. Hands down Home Basic is. Aero is just going to slow things down and most people with netbooks turn it off anyways. Given that, just go with Home Basic. It's what I put on all netbooks myself. Starter isn't bad, but people HATE not being able the change the background lol.

19. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008