Which Windows 7 version is recommended for a mini-server?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by chokobanana, Dec 5, 2009.

1. chokobanana

chokobanana MDL Junior Member

Aug 28, 2009
  2. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    #2 Stannieman, Dec 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
  4. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    #4 gentoo, Dec 5, 2009
  5. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Once you get it you will be able to find out if a bios mod is possible. You can also make a bios mod request in the proper forum. These guys can do amazing things.

6. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    a clean server 2008 R2 install should use less ram than a clean windows 7 because a lot of services are disabled. All the stuff like printerspooler, fast user switch, aero,.... are disabled by default so there are as many possible system recources free for "serving". Windows 7 is optimised for user experience, so here these services are enabled by default. You could tweak windows 7 to have the same settings as server, but then it's better to use server and you get a lot of extra server features with it. And I think also most of these features are disabled so they don't take resources, you jsut have to enable what you need.

So because of the server features server takes up more hdd space, but it uses less cpu power and ram.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. chokobanana

Aug 28, 2009
    #8 chokobanana, Dec 5, 2009
    (OP)
  8. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Remember that according to Microsoft, all the editions of Windows 7 have the same hardware requirement, but the difference is the functionalities between them...............

9. racky29

racky29 MDL Senior Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Windows Home Server (WHS), might be a good choice

10. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    WHS or 2008 server, both will work fine for your needs.
    For 2008 server, check the services, to eliminate the ones you don't use, and keep the ones running at a minimum. It will save a good amount of your ram.

gen

11. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    I would personally go for Server R2 and disable all the services I didn't need.

You can use RemoveWAT for R2 :D

12. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Since Windows always seemed to become pretty unreliable when it ran for a long time i always preferred Linux for my purely remote-controlled 'data-bitches'.

I suppose thats not an alternative?

If it is, i had pretty good results even with mainstream distros like Ubuntu, which is pretty straightforward to set up if you have at least basic Unix knowledge. And of course it is 100% free too, so no grief with product keys and activation crap and stuff either...

13. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Instead spending any cash on this gimmick, just buy Qnap NAS & you are fully set
    Will do all you want in reliable way out-of-the-box & it will be CHEAPER!

sebus

14. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Just get an iso of r2, a key that works, and it won't cost anything.
    It'll also do everything it needs to, and will be more fun setting it up.

15. chokobanana

Aug 28, 2009
    Thank you for all the replies!

I figured I'd cut down on the details in my first post so it wouldn't be so long, but the main reason for getting this PC is because I want to record TV shows off TV :rolleyes:

After 15 years in Japan (and getting married to japanese) we decided to move back home next year. I'm a little worried my wife will feel lonely in the beginning (new environment and all that..) so I thought I'd set up a 24/7 mini-server in her parents house in Japan, making it possible for her to login to this PC and record TV shows using an external TV-tuner. It'll probably take quite some time to transfer the files through FTP but at least she'll be able to watch all those ridiculous shows :)

So I'm limited to Windows to get the TV Tuner software working. (In case anyone's interested...I'm using the QRS-UT100B along with the hacked "BON" driver which allows you to record in full HD quality) Her parents also have no experience with computers so it must be reliable.