Which Windows updates Should i avoid...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by gokugami, Apr 5, 2014.

1. gokugami

gokugami MDL Novice

Apr 5, 2014
    Hey... i m using windows 7 ultimate x64 with latest daz loader(2014)...
    my system specs: ecs a960m-mv v1.0A, Primary Hardisk: Hitachi 160gb, 8gb kingston hyperxblu, Sapphire Amd 1gb gddr5 6670, Amd Athlon(tm) II 270x2...
    My question is when i installed windows... and ran daz loader... i could not find SLIC and CERTIFICATES for ECS... So i used ASUS and installed activator... after that i validiated windows...it was geniune... so, now i dont want to be messed up with non-geniune status...
    so what are the precautions while using windows updates.... which updates should i avoid... i have also installed microsoft security essentials... is it safe to turn on automatic updates for windows?

and please can u update SLIC and CERTIFICATES for ECS(ELITE GROUP) Motherboard.... do the correct system manufacturers are important to choose in loader?...

Thnks and great work DAZ... i m big fan of yours....:biggrin:

2. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    You do not need to avoid any updates

3. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    This is sort of like a conversation i overheard on a subway ride. Q: Where should I get off? A: Watch me and get off three stops before I do.

Many updates target a specific condition and if you have no need for it, don't get it. If you're not sure, you can likely uninstall it if you find you don't need it. From time to time it has been found that certain updates have had unanticipated results that borked a few systems. Thing is, somebody has to try them to find that out. Do you detest Bing? Then don't get those. And so forth and so on.

Basically I'm with EFA11 ... you do not need to avoid any updates.

4. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    oh and no the manufacturer doesn't matter. Simply install a clean ISO of Win7, after install run the loader reboot and done. You are activated and can use windows update however you choose.

5. videobruce

videobruce MDL Junior Member

Feb 16, 2013
    It also depends on what you are going and what you want to do as far as customizing. ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. GDVX

GDVX MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2014
    More than a few systems, IMO. I reached a very bad place with KB 2882822 and KB 2872339, but it seemed to be hardware specific. Happened on one Win 7 desktop rig, but not others, and not on laptops. Somewhere I have a couple good URLs on KBs that MS had to recall, after serious problems were uncovered. :eek: This does not seem to be much discussed. (Not PR in their interest, of course.) I now try to do a little research before simply accepting these patches. I also try to avoid installing them in batches much over 10 at a time, as this can complicate any troubleshooting, in the event of bad results like those I ran into.

7. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #7 PhaseDoubt, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
    Considering the tens of millions (hundreds of millions?) of Windows systems in operation, "few" seems appropriate. Without doubt, some patches have caused problems, but the negative potential of not installing a given patch is usually far greater than the chance you might have a problem.

We are all free to install/not install what we wish. But the problem I see quite often is a computer woefully behind on patch installation that has for one reason or another gotten borked and/or infected.

8. l30

l30 GFX Wizard

Apr 14, 2014
    Put Updates on Auto Install because there r many vulnerabilities and things that are not stable for whom patch is made and than pushed through Windows update so its good to install all updates