White Screen

Discussion in 'Mobile and Portable' started by Sleeping_Lion, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion MDL Junior Member

May 13, 2014
    I Power up my laptop (Compaq) today..and its suddenly shows me completely white screen, then i press power button and hold it to force shutdown..then i remove battery wait for 5-6 sec and insert battery again and power up again..now its working again..can someone tell me wats d reason behind this..??

2. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    How does it work with the battery removed and using only AC power?

3. Sleeping_Lion

May 13, 2014
    it works with battery

4. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    These things happen sometimes still.
    The reasons might be very much, and usually do not have any firm.
    If it will recur on a regular basis, it is worth examining whether the BIOS settings are correct, how is the battery health, it may be obsolete and whether the charger is OK.
    Probably it was some kind of random "drift".

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #5 PhaseDoubt, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016

[FONT=&amp]Does it? Are you not getting the white screen with the battery in place? What you have to do is start elimination possibilities. Per your OP, it doesn’t work properly (you’re getting a white screen) and you want that to stop. OK fine, let’s eliminate a variable by removing the battery and noting how your system runs on only AC power.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]If it continues to fault running on AC power alone, you can safely say a battery fault is not causing problems. If it runs perfectly without the battery in place, the battery (or its circuitry) may well be the problem.

Given the information you've provided, it's unlikely anybody will be able to say precisely what your problem is and give you the exact fix. The solution is going to be a process, not a single event, and you have to start that process somewhere. I suggest you start by determining if the battery is the problem.
    [/FONT]

6. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Sorry me! Do not run without batteries, it is strongly not recommended without batteries, because it may damage some components!
    Sorry, my line of specialty electronics has been Already more then 40 years.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Sleeping_Lion

May 13, 2014
    my battery is 2 year old and adaptor is 6-7 months old..both are Genuine Hp products..

8. Sleeping_Lion

May 13, 2014
    and my battery gives me very good backup..so i think battery is not a problem..Btw can u suggest me a site to download genuine drivers for my compaq laptop because hp doest support win7 for my particular product.thank u

9. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Firstly, make sure that you -can- run the laptop without a battery. Some laptops don't like this. Nowadays, almost all laptop power supplies have a small CPU that checks
    to see how much current the battery is drawing and acts accordingly.

When was the last time you checked to see if there was a BIOS update for your laptop?

10. Sleeping_Lion

May 13, 2014
    i never check bios update before

11. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012

This has absolutely no matter, how old they are. Some will work for 10 years without problems, some only a few days.

12. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    Make and model# please...:)

13. Sleeping_Lion

May 13, 2014
    [h=2]Compaq Presario CQ62-106TU Notebook PC[/h]

14. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
  15. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    If it does it again connect a external monitor and see if it works. Opening and closing the cover might have loosened a connection to the display.

16. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Most. Ok, I get that. But I was using the word "transformer" in a more generic sense which obviously was confusing. Regardless, the "transformer" (in a non electrical engineering sort of way) changes (transforms) 110v 60 cycle (50 cycle in Europe?) Alternating Current (AC) to something of a fundamentally different nature before it gets to the battery. If you didn't have as a goal doing that, you could simply pump 110v AC directly into the device's circuits. ipso facto ... the little box in the AC line or at the wall is a "transformer" ... in the generic sense.

But you point is well taken. I still say if my laptop can't be run battery out, I wouldn't have it.

17. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    My laptop battery is in 8 pieces in a box, as single cells, and there is a battery sized hole in the bottom of the laptop, gets used occasionally on mains power, mostly gathers dust

18. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    If previous Compaqs are any indication then the issue is the screen going bad. Eventually it will boot up all white and you won't be able to fix it unless you change the panel.

19. Sleeping_Lion

May 13, 2014
    my laptop comes with windows 7..