Who are these users on my system and where do they come from?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by ceo54, Sep 12, 2021.

1. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    Hello,

I'm the only user on my system so why I have so many users in the registry?

[​IMG]

Where do they hail from? and more importantly, how do I safely get rid of them?

Thanks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. case-sensitive

case-sensitive MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2013
    Your computer has different accounts ...... wich you see there ........... and you cant delete all of them ?

Control panel /administrative tools / computer management / local users and groups / users

3. TigTex

TigTex MDL Senior Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Don't delete those entries manually. Those entries are there by default on every windows install.
    Note: Always manage users within the settings app or legacy control panel.

4. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    There are some special accounts, like "Local System", "Network Service", "Local Service", "Trusted Installer", "Administrator", "Default User". Deleting them could make the system cease to work.

5. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    I got to computer management but couldn't find any user management there.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    Yes, that makes sense. The only thing bothering me is that I didn't have those entries there on the previous install. Maybe I'll do another fresh install and compare the results?

7. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    Thank you for the response Carlos. I won't delete them. I will do another fresh install given the time and compare the results. Many programs I use keep their settings in the registry there which I take back and restore on fresh install, this time I couldn't restore my configurations. When I looked around in the registry I found that my user had changed from the previous install.

8. Dark Dinosaur

Dark Dinosaur X Æ A-12

Feb 2, 2011
    using "WHOAMI /GROUPS" command you can see all there groups AND sid for each group

9. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    thanks a lot friend very good info :)

10. BogusByte

BogusByte MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2016
    And to find your current users full SID:
    wmic path win32_useraccount where name='%UserName%' get sid

also try
    wmic path win32_useraccount where name='%UserName%'