who owns Windows 10 DE if i sell my computer?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by beta-hunter, Aug 7, 2016.

1. beta-hunter

beta-hunter MDL Member

Dec 14, 2008
    #1 beta-hunter, Aug 7, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
    if i want to sell my computer, is the new owner entitled to the DE? if so then why would i bother linking my Microsoft account?

ps ok so it looks like linking helps you to reactivate windows after a piece of hardware has changed,damn, i read that it links DE to your Microsoft account, so therefore is theory so long as you use the same account you should always be entitled to free DE.:(

2. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #2 lobo11, Aug 7, 2016
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    The DE might as well go with the system, its HWID is bound to that OS, but Im not entirely sure how the MSA tied to that works lol

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    As long as the User could proof that he/she legally bought the License from Microsoft, and according to existing international law, that License is bound to that user. Same applies for those OEM Licenses bought as single Software License and NOT preinstalled on a bought computer, for the latter the license is strictly bound to that physical machine!

On the end of a day, all will be regarding the local law, which maybe differs from the international law!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    If you're going to call MS anyway, I suggest you do it beforehand and sort the case out with them, rather than trying to plead with them after the event and hearing phrases like, "You should have...".

6. RobertJ

RobertJ MDL Senior Member

Apr 4, 2014
    Even Pro can be an OEM version. So the correct question to ask would be whether it's a retail (or upgrade from retail) version, or an OEM (or upgrade from OEM) version.

7. maestrosir

maestrosir MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2016
    What is DE? Is it some desktop environment? I never heard that Windows 10 has something like that.
    I am sorry if this sounds stupid.
    I am an average PC user.

8. pauldamo

pauldamo MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    a digital entitlement for the os licence, i presume

9. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #9 Enthousiast, Aug 7, 2016
    It has it from the start, first it was called either HWID or Digital Entitlement and now in 14393.0 and up it's called a Digital License.

You can still get one for your system for free by simply upgrading from an activated 7 SP1/8.1 to 10.

10. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #10 lobo11, Aug 7, 2016
    Crazy me, and I have OEM Pro:aglerks:

11. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #11 lobo11, Aug 7, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
    After thinking about it, man MS really needs to come out with new activation guidelines,
    Would not matter if it was OEM Pro, when I clean installed 1607 it came up not activated, I almost died, then I ran the trouble shooter, it married up with my MS account and gave me DI, it said so,
    so if it sold it to someone, as long as I formatted it prior to selling, they would not be activated by my OEM licence because that info is in my MS account, this mess is heavy.:g:

So I guess it would be safe to assume from my experience, that OEM licence is in MS account, along with HWID, also, for activation trouble shooter to work, sorry Tin Foil Hatters, you must be logged into your MS Account.:eek:

12. beta-hunter

beta-hunter MDL Member

Dec 14, 2008
    wow, i didn't realize this was so complicated... just to make it clear,i am NOT selling this computer,i just wanted to clear up the confusion on Digital Entitlement but i now realize nothing is clear! as for this pc, it was win8.1 core oem, then i installed win10 core rtm( oem?), now i have installed the Anni Update Core,i went to settings/updates/activation and noticed that MS had linked my Microsoft account already ( without asking me if i wanted to do that!). im my minf I should be able to keep the Digital Entitlement, not the new owner of the pc,it is linked to MY Microsoft account.not theirs.

13. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    The HWID is linked to the HW. When linked to MSA you can troubleshoot the activation after major HW changes, i believe i read somewhere it even can transfer you Digital License to other hardware/systems (transferable "oem" activation).

When you want to sell the system, you can remove the system from your MSA (unlink) by going to account.microsoft.com/devices, the HWID/Digital License will stay linked to the hardware for the lifetime of it.

14. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #14 lobo11, Aug 8, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
    It stays yours, they can't logon with your MS Account, they don't have password, so if you formatted drive before you sold it, when they clean install Windows 10, they sign into Their MS account, not Yours so if they are activated or not depends on their MS Account and HWID.:D

Also, it's not Digital Entitlement anymore, it's Digital Licence:D