WHS 2011 and Chew7/HAL9000/Trilogy

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by bmurphr1, Aug 30, 2011.

1. bmurphr1

bmurphr1 MDL Junior Member

Aug 19, 2009
    #1 bmurphr1, Aug 30, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
    Recently I built myself a new machine (Zotac NM10-A-E with Atom D510 and 2GB RAM) with the intention of running WHS and backing up the boot drives of all nine computers in my house. Went with 2011 over the first version because it has better support for restoring drive images to 64 bit OSes. I understand there are no leaked SLP keys for WHS 2011 as of yet, so there's no way of activating properly using SLIC mods/hacks. Right now my machine is using the last version of Chew7 before it was converted to HAL9000 and so far everything seems just fine, and apparently the newest version of Chew7 has been greatly improved since System properties shows my machine as activated.

My question is this - which WAT-removing crack program does the best job of stopping the annoying non-genuine nags from popping up and screwing with my setup? I originally built this setup with the idea of making occasional backups, but have been so impressed with it that I have decided to make nightly backups of all of my machines and plan to start relying on WHS 2011 more and more. There are a LOT of conflicting answers regarding WAT-disabling cracks though. I am aware that you can buy WHS 2011 dirt cheap now (currently Newegg has it for $43 USD as long as you use the NEWCUSTOMER10 code with a fresh account) but I just want to make sure that my WHS box doesn't boot improperly one day and lock me out of my HD backups especially at a point in time when I need it.

I know I should just buy it and shell out the $43, but I keep holding out just in case an OEM SLP key gets leaked. In the mean time though, I just need to make sure I'm relying on the best method of keeping the box going until a key is found.

2. troels

troels MDL Member

May 20, 2007
    I'm using Trilogy, i.e. rearming. Chew and HAL are removing or changing files - which might be detected by Microsoft one day - but Trilogy leaves your system intact. Only annoying thing is a popup on the client computers saying something like 3 days to activate - that is 3 days before rearming runs. A solution would be to run Trilogy after, say 25 days instead of 30.

I read that the WHS 2011 by Acer will be on the market soon - so key and certificate are coming.

3. ippytattoo

ippytattoo MDL Senior Member

Jul 17, 2008
    I would have to agree with troels. I am using trilogy on my WSSE 2008 R2(just a less restricted version of WHS2011) and just knowing that there have been no files messed with and as soon as a key and cert are collected/installed it will be 100% activated and genuine is really reassuring. Don't get me wrong I have heard good things about chew I would just prefer to keep the system as clean as possible until such time as we have proper keys and certs.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. wampa78

wampa78 MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2011
    I am still with in my 30days of eval. I had planed on using Trilogy. But I bought a copy of WHS 2011 since its so cheap right now. I did use WSS 2008 and used Chew7 it worked fine but it loads a service call hale.exe it takes up a lot of resources but you can change the intervals that it runs in the registry. After that it worked fine for me.

5. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #5 timesurfer, Aug 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    IR5 in Trilogy does registry setting

Code:
    REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SoftwareProtectionPlatform\Activation" /v NotificationDisabled /t REG_DWORD /d 1
    that removes all nags but I haven't used WHS11 so I'm not sure but on most W7 OS nags are removed for whole 180 days

IR5 takes about 3-5 minutes to install IR5 once every 6 months

And like these guys said all utilities in Trilogy do not hurt or hack system or mess with cpu, etc :eek:...lol

But $43 dollars really unless your super poor there is no excuse to not get it. If all W7/Server we're $43 bucks their be no solutions?

That is not an accurate assesment of the IR5 experience

Only on enterprise and very rarely does the 3 day OS bug most probably caused by other hacks used prior

Please don't make untrue comments about IR5 and Trilogy. Thank you

Otherwise after amost 2 years with my dev of IR5 I've almost never heard that 3 day BS

And definitely not on every enterprise OS

In fact people have said they've done repair install and cured it! Or fixed their OS in other ways so no 3 day BS is there

6. devils-haven

devils-haven MDL Novice

May 18, 2011
    isn't trilogy limited to 4 rearms in whs2011? i am geting to my 4th one soon, will i need to reinstall after that? 120 days?

7. GregH

GregH MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2011
    I ended up buying the AMAZON.COM copy of WHS. I mean, come on... $43? I had used it for testing and I liked it.
    None of the programs here totally worked as far as converting and activation issues. A few of the programs will
    SAY its licensed and activated, but in my case, the server software kept rebooting the pc every hour or so. I would not want to rely on a hack that I knew wasn't proven on this software... Since there are no known OEM:SLP keys.

If you don't want to shell out the $43, download the 6.5GB ISO of Small Business Server 2011 and apply the patch.
    It works!!! and I tried it (OEM:SLP procedure) SBS was a bit of an overkill for my use (although they are all based off the same platform).... SBS doesn't backup clients either (has server backup only).

8. troels

troels MDL Member

May 20, 2007
    "That is not an accurate assesment of the IR5 experience

Only on enterprise and very rarely does the 3 day OS bug most probably caused by other hacks used prior

Please don't make untrue comments about IR5 and Trilogy. Thank you

Otherwise after amost 2 years with my dev of IR5 I've almost never heard that 3 day BS

And definitely not on every enterprise OS

In fact people have said they've done repair install and cured it! Or fixed their OS in other ways so no 3 day BS is there."

Sorry, you are mistaken - this is about the client computers of WHS 2011. As WHS 2011 is supposed to be headless, the WHS team apparently set the nagging to appear on the client - not the WHS. A connector is installed on the client. Using Trilogy the last 4-5 days before rearming the nagging appears. To get rid of this, I'm trying the let IR5 run every 25 days, but still haven't seen the result of this change.

9. ippytattoo

ippytattoo MDL Senior Member

Jul 17, 2008
    WSSE 2008 R2 is the same as WHS 2011 in that it give reminders/warnings on the client computers in the launchpad saying "Less than 5 days to activate" but as soon as it rearms the warnings go away. I can live with these warnings as you can click on "ignore the alert". You just have to keep track of your rearms and re-install before the last day of the last rearm.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. bmurphr1

Aug 19, 2009
    Before I installed WHS 2011 I was just using FreeNAS along with Acronis True Image Home 2011 to store drive images over the network, but actually restoring the backups was an extremely cumbersome task...so much that I wouldn't want to rely on it if a drive ever died. Still running it through the testing phase, but I'm just about convinced WHS 2011 is going to be my number one pick. I wish the new Acer WHS machine would hurry up and be released, but since there are no definite time frames on its release date I feel like I should just break down and spend the $43 on the OS and get it over with.

With my luck though I'll buy the OS and 24 hours later the new Acer box gets released. :eek:

11. wampa78

wampa78 MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2011
    I agree I wanted to use WHS 2011 so I just bought it off Amazon.com also. I also run SBS 2011 and used a loader works fine. But I did not what to have to worry about the rearm on WHS. I am using a Windows Media PC with it. So I wanted it mainly for that function.

12. bmurphr1

Aug 19, 2009
    I also broke down and purchased it just now from Newegg...was $45 total after upgrading to UPS 3 Day shipping (default was their Egg Saver bullcrap that takes a minimum of 8 days to get here even though the Newegg warehouse is less than 5 miles from my home). Now I'm just waiting to see how long it takes the Acer OEM SLP key to get leaked. :biggrin: