WHS V2. Question about minimum ram!

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by jmfg187, Jun 23, 2011.

1. jmfg187

jmfg187 MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2010
    Is there anyway to skip the memory check so I can install on a system with 1.5gb memory? I looked through the winsetup.dll with a hex editor but I really don't know what I would be looking for. I was originally hoping I could replace the 2gb limit with the limit from 2008 r2 since it runs perfectly fine on the same box but is way beyond what I need. If the hex string is in there and able to be replaced is there a way to find it or something or perhaps another way around it?

TIA,
    JMFG

2. oscill8r

oscill8r MDL Junior Member

Sep 4, 2008
  3. derausgewanderte

derausgewanderte MDL Senior Member

Jul 21, 2009
    yep,

dvd:/sources/SKU is a file SERVERHOMEPREMIUM.def
    it contains the following parameters:
    Code:

[Information]
    EditionID=34

[Requirements]
    RAM=2048
    HDD=160
    Proc=1300
    Core=1

I know it runs with 1Gb RAM but I highly recommend at least 2Gb as it will be pretty slow.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. jmfg187

jmfg187 MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2010
    Thank you, much appreciated! Great community here from what I can tell!

5. jmfg187

jmfg187 MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2010
    Thought I would explain exactly how I did this for anyone that does not know. If you think I should post a new thread I could do that also.

As soon as you are greeted with the screen asking if you want a new install or to repair a previous one push Shift + F10 to bring up cmd.

Type "notepad.exe" without quotes then click file open and browse to sources/SKU/SERVERHOMEPREMIUM.def (you may have to select all files at the bottom so you can see the .def file).

From inside here you can change your amount of ram, number of cpu cores, HDD space, and processor speed to suit your needs. Save and close notepad.

Type "wpshell.exe" without quotes and hit enter setup will restart with the new parameters. Hope this can help someone out and thanks again.

6. derausgewanderte

derausgewanderte MDL Senior Member

Jul 21, 2009
    cool, thought you could just open the iso with UltraIso, modify the file, inject back into iso and then burn to DVD or USB. Install...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. jmfg187

jmfg187 MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2010
    I did do that but it still greeted me with 2048 ram, not sure why but I had to do it the other way to make it work.