Why are some computers getting the free upgrade to windows 7 and some are not?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by msr, Aug 2, 2009.

1. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    was looking at the shops and only a few computers offer the upgrade to windows 7.

Will the ones that have the offer come with pre made bios with 2.1 slic. Has anyone brought one of these and checked, or has someone checked the bios of the main sites to see if the bios comes with 2.1 slic in bios already.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. xmadski1lx

xmadski1lx MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2009
    thats what im wondering! i just ordered a brand new hp laptop that offers free upgrade to windows 7. I'm wondering if it comes with 2.1 SLIC bios already installed too...

when my laptop comes prob around aug 10-15, ill update this thread for you

3. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Have you tried downloading the right bios for it, and checking if you know how to see if it already has it.

Or do they plan on just updating these computers with slic 2.1 in the future, and not the other computers being sold.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ambidav

ambidav MDL Guru

May 14, 2008
    #4 ambidav, Aug 2, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
    i know in the U.K HP are doing a free upgrade to windows 7 if you buy a new pc with vista from june 2009 to jan 2010! so i pressume if you buy with vista preinstalled when you receive your free windows 7 upgrade dvd it will flash your bios to slic 2.1 so your upgrade to 7 will be activated on your pc!! :D

5. xmadski1lx

xmadski1lx MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2009
    #7 xmadski1lx, Aug 2, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
    the thing is i dont want to wait till oct or whenever HP decides to mail the upgrade cd.

i just want to do a clean install of windows 7 ultimate as soon as i receive my laptop to get rid of all the bloated software HP gives u

6. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    So no slic 2.1 in bios then for those computers.

So how long before every new computer has 2.1 slic in bios, will we have to wait until next year?

7. ambidav

ambidav MDL Guru

May 14, 2008
    i assume lots of oem vendors will be giving bios upgrades to slic 2.1 with pc's purchased now!

8. nfsuw

nfsuw MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    imo, if they are doing what they did when vista first came out, all the computers that can get the free windows 7 upgrade, already have slic2.1 in thier bios.

this is cause when i got my laptop, it came with xp, but had the free vista 'upgrade' and it already has slic 2.0 in the bios

9. ambidav

ambidav MDL Guru

May 14, 2008
    well i bought a new vista capable pc that came preinstalled with windows xp and gpt a free upgrade to vista home premium! and that did not have a slic 2.0 table in! not until i ran the vista uprade dvd did it give me slic 2.0 table!! :confused:

10. Para

Para MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    I've also had a laptop with XP installed which qualified for the Vista upgrade program. HP sent me 2 CDs, one with all the upgrades for drivers and BIOS and such, which I assume updated the SLIC to 2.0.

But, the funny thing is: I used the Vista CD and upgraded to Vista on my other machine, which wasn't branded, and it still worked. The machine was custom built, and is not branded by any OEM, but still works with no HP system label or anything.

11. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    It depends on the OEM. If the OEM is going to offer the model in the future (which depends on the OEM, when I worked at Best Buy some OEMs changed models every 3-4 months) then they will probably offer a BIOS upgrade that will put the SLIC table in there. If the OEM is discontinuing the model then chances are they will not put the SLIC 2.1 table in there.

12. colinzim

colinzim MDL Senior Member

May 14, 2007
    HP has several models already with 2.1 SLIC. One I own 8530w/8530p Workstation Notebook had a bios upgrade 1 month ago that has 2.1. Windows 7 Ultimate = Activated