Why can't I keep my apps on in-place upgrade from Windows 7 to 8.1

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by tangan, Oct 31, 2013.

1. tangan

tangan MDL Novice

May 9, 2007
    #1 tangan, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
    According to this page (hp://technet.microsoft.com/library/jj203353.aspx - change hp->http) on upgrade paths, going from Windows 7 to 8.1 should allow you to keep apps. When I try an in-place upgrade using a USB stick, all I'm offered is to keep personal files and data. My Windows 7 Ultimate is VL licensed and I'm attempting to go to Windows 8.1 Pro. I'm not doing a cross-language upgrade so I don't see what the issue is.

On the page I referenced, right at the top it says that you can go to 8.1 Pro from 8, 8 Pro, 8 Pro WMC, but it says nothing about Windows 7. A bit farther down, there's a table listing all the upgrade paths along with what you can keep and there, Windows 7 is listed as a starting version which allows you to keep your apps.

Anyone have a clue?

Thanks

2. tangan

tangan MDL Novice

May 9, 2007
    Yes, pretty much, but since I'm using a VL image of 8.1 Pro, I'm not prompted for a product key and the wizard page where you get to choose what to keep, I'm only offered the option of personal files or nothing.

3. im bored

im bored MDL Member

Aug 17, 2009
    #4 im bored, Oct 31, 2013
    First you said that your Windows 7 Ultimate is a VL and than later you said that your Windows 8 Pro is VL.
    Last time I checked Windows 7 Ultimate VL doesn't exist. Volume license are only available for Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Enterprise.

Maybe if you want to do an upgrade and keep your apps than you should be using a Retail version of Windows 8.1 Pro.
    Maybe Windows 7 Ultimate (RETAIL) -> Windows 8.1 Pro (RETAIL)
    I have never attempted this but it the only thing that seams out of place.

4. tangan

tangan MDL Novice

May 9, 2007
    #5 tangan, Oct 31, 2013
    (OP)
    Hmm, I was under the (mistaken, it looks like) impression that the OEM licensing installed by Daz's Windows Loader (what I'm using) was the same thing as VL. Do you think it'd be possible to go from my OEM licensed Win 7 Ultimate to Windows 8.1 Pro? This thread (hp://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/49472-Will-a-Windows-8-oem-key-activate-Windows-8-1-Pro-VL) seems to imply that I should go to a Core version of 8.1. Problem is that I couldn't use KMSpico with it then...

5. im bored

im bored MDL Member

Aug 17, 2009
  6. Reznov

Reznov MDL Member

May 17, 2012
    That was my mission some months ago, first I upgraded from 7 Ultimate to 8 Pro, then from 8 Pro to 8.1 Pro, I don't think that it's possible to upgrade from 7 to 8.1 directly unless you choose to keep personal files only.

7. tangan

tangan MDL Novice

May 9, 2007
    #8 tangan, Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
    (OP)
    Thanks im bored - appreciate the advice. I'll give it a go and see what happens. I'll report back here for the benefit of others who might attempt the same upgrade path. The reason for not doing a clean install is just that on this particular older system I can't be bothered with having to reinstall all the apps at this time since it will be replaced in a few months.

Reznov, just to clarify, you had 7 Ultimate retail (with OEM license) and tried to go to 8 Pro retail, the way im bored suggested? Just wondering if Microsoft got that table wrong.

8. Reznov

Reznov MDL Member

May 17, 2012
    Yes that was Win 7 Ultimate Retail (not OEM cuz laptop was shipped with Home Premium so I made an upgrade to Ultimate), When I decided to upgrade to Win 8.1 Pro (Retail) directly as 'im bored' suggested (and I believe it's the only way) it only gives me to keep personal files only, so I decided to use a Win 8.0 Pro image then the other option to keep Windows settings... shows up, after the upgrade from 7 to 8 you make the same way another time from 8 to 8.1.

9. im bored

im bored MDL Member

Aug 17, 2009
    Wow that is a long process sounds like a clean install would be quicker. :)

10. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    delete me
    ------------

11. Reznov

Reznov MDL Member

May 17, 2012
    That's for sure and I'm still wondering why till now, we cannot upgrade from 7 to 8.1 directly, since 8.1 is actually official instead of 8.