Why can't Windows 7 do this?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by weaveR, Feb 13, 2011.

1. weaveR

weaveR MDL Member

Nov 8, 2009
    #1 weaveR, Feb 13, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
    Ok I'm now duel booting with XP and Windows 7 and noticed you can't spoof a mac address on wireless cards like you used to be able to in the advanced settings of the card.

I found a program which is called mac makeup to do it but it's really picky as to what you make the address otherwise after supposibly changing it actually dosen't change at all.

Something I do like about Windows 7 though is that they got rid of the search buddy dog, that's the first thing I always remove when I install XP.

2. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    what wlan card are you using? the standard issue drivers are very limited and outdated... for broadcom, I downloaded the latest ones from dell for my dells and it let me have options such as afterburner and country (to change channel sets)

3. weaveR

weaveR MDL Member

Nov 8, 2009
    #3 weaveR, Feb 13, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
    (OP)
    It's a AirLive WT-2000PCI, yeah I can change the country channel set as well but not the mac address anymore.

That reminds me I rember I actually tried using a channel I'm not supposed to use in my country one time but it didn't work, I'd laugh if the wireless police knocked on my door and demanded that I use the proper channels :biggrin:.

4. Enigma256

Enigma256 MDL Senior Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Changing the MAC address is a function of the driver, not the operating system.

5. weaveR

weaveR MDL Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Well could you show me a wireless card you can change the MAC address on Windows 7 then?

6. Enigma256

Jan 17, 2011
    #6 Enigma256, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
    Here's a Boardcom card (rebranded as Dell 1395), running on Windows 7 SP1 x64:
    BroadcomDell1395OnWin7SP1.png

Control of the MAC address has always been--and will always be--the purview of the driver. So if you used to have this feature but not any more, then your card manufacturer decided for whatever reason (maybe it was just laziness) to not carry the feature over when they made the Win7 version of their driver.

7. weaveR

weaveR MDL Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Link dosen't work.

8. Enigma256

Jan 17, 2011
    Hmm. Works for me. Oh well. I've edited the post so that it points to the image host's image page instead of directly linking to the image itself...

9. weaveR

weaveR MDL Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Maybe you should try putting it inside IMG brackets, also I find it's best to directly link to the picture rather than have it in a frame on the hosts site.

Anyway are you able to change the mac address in the advanced settings or is it a setting on the utility that comes with the driver?

10. Enigma256

Jan 17, 2011
    Still can't see the image? The image shows that the option is in the device's advanced settings.

11. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. weaveR

weaveR MDL Member

Nov 8, 2009
    #12 weaveR, Feb 14, 2011
    (OP)

Attached Files:

13. teknomedic

teknomedic MDL Member

May 5, 2007
    I can see both versions of your picture.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    #14 Kouryu, Feb 14, 2011
    use a better browser or fix it ;)
    works fine here too

anyway, one other thing you can try is exporting the registry info from XP and then carefully grafting it into 7... you can find this under HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\<adapter number>
    adapter number = 0000, 0001, etc
    if the INF for the 7 drivers was crappy (out of laziness of the maker) but the driver really does support the functions, then you can registry hack to make it work... worth a try! all of the driver settings are controlled by registry

DO NOT import the entire key, you will very likely break the driver... you need to put in ONLY the necessary registry info that pertains to the MAC address setting to enable the setting be shown

15. weaveR

weaveR MDL Member

Nov 8, 2009
    I'm using Firefox, can't get much better than that.

I think MacMakeUp was achieving the same thing being I am able to change the address to AA-BB-CC-DD-EE-FF with it, tried it anyway though and still didn't change to the mac I actually want to have, MacMakeUp already had the spoofed address in it though after doing the registry tweak so obviusly I added the NetworkAddress string to the right place.

Yeah but I have a USB dongle as well and Windows 7 comes with the drivers for it and that too dosen't have the option on the advanced tab of the card to change the address, why would Windows 7 come with crappy lazy drivers?

16. Polymath

Polymath MDL Novice

Dec 11, 2009
    As Enigma noted above the ability to spoof the MAC address is a function of the driver, unfortunately the MS provided driver for virtually all Wireless cards removes the ability to do it as easily as under XP or Vista. To fix this all you have to do is use a NON MS driver for your card. Your card's manufacturer provides a Vista driver that will work just fine under Windows 7 and allow you to set the MAC address from the Advanced properies tab in the pic shown by timesurfer above. I've used Vista driver's on many machines to overcome this issue on many WLAN cards under Win 7.

Take care

17. loguns

loguns MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2011
    I think that physic mac address should be changed by special pregram .If your ethernet card is intel ,eeupdate.exe is ok.if your ethernet card is broadcom , i don`t know wut pregram too.and i`m searching for it long

18. PTCruiserGT

PTCruiserGT MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2010
    Regarding the inability to see images, Imageshack does not allow people from certain countries to see images on their site. Other forums (MSFN, for example) noticed this early on in the year and posted sticky threads to remind people not to use Imageshack.