Why do or for what purpose homes users use VL Windows?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Baghi, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Baghi

Baghi MDL Junior Member

Sep 1, 2013
    Hi guys,

I need to know some things which are mind-boggling.

Why do or for what purpose homes users use VL Windows? In WinXP and Office 2007 I could understand installing VL won't ask for an online activation, but not in Win7+ or Office 2010 or above versions.

What I myself do is, go to msdn site, find the most recent hashes or filename I want search for it online and install but here at mdl, I see many people posting links of stuff which is not even available on msdn website. That, and some M$ software which comes with only VL license why'd you necessarily use a VL ISO for that? Like, I downloaded an Office ProPlus 2007 off of the net with matching msdn hashes, but I'm able to use retail and VL keys altogether, how is this possible? Wouldn't a retail ISO not even be validating a VL key or vice versa?

I've plenty of questions in my mind, but I will be asking few of those. Please be kind. :)

Thanks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    #2 redroad, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
    This is a very broad topic and will require some research on your part .. A good place to start ..

A general reply to "That, and some M$ software which comes with only VL license why'd you necessarily use a VL ISO for that?" is because of the way it activates ..

Like, I downloaded an Office ProPlus 2007 off of the net with matching msdn hashes, but I'm able to use retail and VL keys altogether, how is this possible?

Please share the file description and sha-1 of the software you are talking about so there is no miscommunication

Wouldn't a retail ISO not even be validating a VL key or vice versa?

"Volume Activation provides two different models for completing volume activations. The first model is Key Management Service (KMS) and the second is Multiple Activation Key (MAK). KMS allows organizations to activate systems within their own network, while MAK activates systems on a one-time basis, using Microsoft’s hosted activation services. Customers can use either or both activation methods in their environment. The type of key entered in the product determines the activation method. There is a third model for completing volume activation called Active Directory-Based activation. See Active Directory-Based Activation Overview."

To be certain that we are talking about the same thing include file description and sha-1

3. Baghi

Baghi MDL Junior Member

Sep 1, 2013
    #3 Baghi, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    Code:
      File: en_office_professional_plus_2007_united_states_x86_cd_481425.iso
    CRC-32: d3a4d56e
       MD4: c7686177767914a8256e4ad08e5cc95f
       MD5: 043f8b0aebbafd91b06c8aad18fd282b
     SHA-1: 85acd6cdd355c67fc114a071439c097efcddd331

These are the details of the file I'm talking about, I was able to use both retail and VL key, except in VL it didn't ask for an online activation.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...