Why does anyone use a Loader?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by madmike283, Dec 3, 2009.

1. madmike283

madmike283 MDL Novice

Oct 15, 2009
    So I'm somewhat naive about this in-depth computer crap, but I'm not afraid to read and learn and follow some simple instructions. I know my way around the basics of a PC and have built my own desktops.

I recently installed a modded BIOS, cert, and OEM key for both my ASUS laptop and my home-built desktop with no problems at all, using a command prompt for installing the cert and key etc. This is all made very easy with the help of the Repository and all the fine folks here. If I can do this without screwing up the machines, why would anyone run a Loader and just cheat the cheat? It seems like a half-assed way to do it.

I dunno, I just thought I'd post my thoughts and maybe encourage someone that is on the fence trying to decide between a Loader and BIOS mod. It's really not hard and as long as you have an understanding of the PC(which I assume if you're here and considering this) and can follow simple instructions.

My 1/50th of a dollar.

Mike

2. yngdiego

yngdiego MDL Member

Feb 14, 2008
    Many PCs have BIOSes that can't be mod'ed.

3. odinthegreatone

odinthegreatone MDL Junior Member

Dec 4, 2008
    some people don't want to risk flashing their bios either. as well as some bios cannot be modified at the moment with the tools we have as mentioned by the poster above.

4. ffcloud2000

ffcloud2000 MDL Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Power issues while flashing can be pretty messy so if your willing to take the chance well then go for it but if you don't just use a loader and your g2g

5. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #5 Daz, Dec 3, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
    @ Mike
    Because not everyone knows how to do it and via an application we can provide the whole kit for just about every type of machine. Do that via any other method and you required the cert, serial, SLIC and the latest loader version (thats not provided as a standalone). After that you then need to know how to mount your partition to gain access to the required drive, the problem here is most users don't know the difference and guess its C:\

Allots changed on the loader front, I can tell you none of the tutorials would work for a manual install with the ease these applications can do it in now. For example my own variant can only be installed via my application because it uses a random encryption which is applied to the actual loader (GRLDR) each and every time its installed. On top of that I have it randomize the file a little (size and name) and the bootsect executable is patched on the fly to match. So what I'm saying is this can't be reproduced via anything other than an application.

In short: Ease of use for the end user, less files to cart around, built in loader option patching :)

Why some people don't use BIOS mods? Because there is such a thing as a bad flash, not every system can be done and not everyone wants to be tied down to a modified BIOS.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. vladxed666

vladxed666 MDL Senior Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Eeprom flasher

you get a bad flash, just take the dmi block out stick it in a eeprom programmer and reflash.. if you don't have one go to a computer service center... they charge like 10-15bucks to reflash...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. madmike283

madmike283 MDL Novice

Oct 15, 2009
    Alright, fair enough. I didn't realize that there are BIOSes out there that can't be modded. Again, I said I was a newb. I just assumed I guess that all of them could be modded so I guess I was just lucky that both of mine are able to be.

8. SirSilentBob

SirSilentBob MDL Senior Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Work is being done to allow more and more to be modded. Just look at andyp's work. He is constantly updating and improving the mod tools, and not too long ago released a phoenix mod program for all to use, giving us 3 great mod tools. Given time, all but the most obscure bios will be modable. If not, the loaders are constantly being updated, so when a SP comes out and detects it, a loader update will fix things!

9. KotaXor

KotaXor MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    A friend asked me to install Windows 7 Ultimate on his desktop using whatever method I like.:p
    I installed it using a Loader instead of a modded bios.:D
    Why?.....:confused:
    I don't want to brick HIS pc if I were to make a mistake.:eek:
    If it was my pc...no problem...I would modded it. (in fact I had two desktop with modded bios).
    So...sometimes we just have to weigh the consequences...I guess!;)

10. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Confidence (or lack of) and simplicity. There are still people her asking for in depth tuts on bios flashing..

UEFI will change the game a bit, but we are having fun with this now..

We had the manual mod down pat sometime last fall, the tools were created due to volume and proof of concept..I am sure the next generation will be much better..

We are still learning about different bios formats and platforms...COM, .BUP, etc..Not all the world uses Phoenix, Award and AMI...Although they used to.:D:D:p

11. blitzx

blitzx MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2009
    so, how I know my BIOS can or can't be modded ?

12. SirSilentBob

Jun 5, 2009
    Can you post a link to the page for your motherboard?

If you want I can mod the file for you if it is possible, or at least look into it for you and tell you if it can easily be done.

13. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
    I use a speed-loader because it is much faster than hand loading my .357 Magnum. :D

14. SirSilentBob

Jun 5, 2009
    That's fine, as long as you don't have only 5 shots at getting it to activate! :D