Why does Win 10 screw up my hard drives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by El_Heffe, Apr 3, 2015.

1. El_Heffe

El_Heffe MDL Member

Jul 16, 2007
    I have 4 internal hard drives. My boot drive (C: ) is an SSD that only contains the operating system and programs. All other files are on the other 3 drives (D:, E:, F: ). I didn't feel like messing around with a VM so here's what I did:

• Remove boot drive C: and replace with an old SSD I had sitting around
    • Do a clean install of Win 10
    • Use Win10 for a few days
    • It's interesting but still has a long way to go
    • Remove Win10 drive and replace with original drive that contains Win 7
    • Boot
    • Win 7 says that there's something wrong and runs chkdsk to fix the 3 other drives D:, E: and F:

This happens with every build I have tried -- 9926, 10036 and 10041

Anyone else seeing this?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    I have a bunch of SSDs in my desktop, this happens quite frequently when I move them around, swap then in/out, or generally mess with THE SYSTEM...let chkdisk run, or skip it. I have never "screwed up" any of the SSDs.

OSs don't screw up drives, people screw up drives...;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    #3 Skaendo, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
    When I was frequenting the Windows 10 TP forum @ MS, there were masses of people complaining about Windows 10 TP screwing up their SSDs. To the point of total failures.

That was quite a few builds ago though, and I thought that they had resolved it.

4. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    That may, or may not be true, you know how people like to complain, as well as blame issues on anything but themselves.
    All I know is I have never had an SSD get screwed up, and I've got lots of them and am not all that bright to start with...

5. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    Yea, I don't know about any specifics or anything about why they were screwing up. But they said that they couldn't even reclaim them using a Linux OS.
    I don't use SSDs so I don't know.

6. jygoro

jygoro MDL Senior Member

Sep 21, 2011
    I had the same problem. I did read about going to Advanced Power Options and disable Fast Boot to fix this. Since then it seems everything is OK again.

It's probably a bug that enables the "dirty bit" from the other partitions when shutting down Win10.

7. WardocsRevenge

WardocsRevenge MDL Expert

Jan 13, 2012
    i have 3 ssd's i go between and 4 hdd's never had as issue as it was said useres mess up drivers not os

8. naseap

naseap MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    I have the same problem when booting up, windows 10 wants to run chkdsk on some of my other drives. It happens on ssd and mechanical drives.
    When I boot with windows 8 this does not happen with the same drives. I have run drive utilities to check the health of the drives and they always come up clean. Not sure why windows 10 does this.

9. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Wasn't the problem on the SSD's down to them being older drives with firmware that had an issue, and that hadn't been updated to a firmware that fixed the issue :confused:

I remember way back when XP was in beta, MS changed from NTFS 5.0 Win2K to NTFS 5.1 XP which caused a lot of problems with 'Utility' programs Norton's having the most trouble. Nortons Utilities was killing HDD's and Ghost would make bad images. I think that was the start of Nortons downfall.

Ever since then I always format my drives with the OS I'm using or installing, just to be on the safe side. ;)

10. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    i dont see how thats even possible....to me it all leads back to the end user not knowing what their doing.

11. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    You drink a lot, don't you?

12. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
  13. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    #13 bchat, Apr 4, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
    It is pre-release software - it is messing with your head - :)

ETA - @Skaendo - I think that was a different issue than the chkdsk running all the time deal.

ETA2 - I think 1 of the reasons I have had no issues with my drives is I never put the machines to sleep, not desktop, laptop, or Surface Pro 3. I also have the Power Setting set to never turn off the drives.

14. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    most likely their cheap Chinese SSD that go bad right away....theirs a lot of garbage out their.

15. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    You think there's no problem installing Windows 10 on your Opal compliant SSD until you decide to install a different operating system, and then find that you cannot perform an ATA secure erase on the device. How do I know this? It happened to me after I installed an early Windows 10 Tech Preview (v. 9860 if I remember correctly) on my Crucial M500 SSD. At the time, Crucial did not offer a software utility capable of doing a PSID revert in order to clear the ATA password Windows 10 had set to enable the drive's hardware based encryption(it just went behind my back without making me aware it had done this of course!). So I was locked out of doing a secure erase and had to be happy with simply reformatting the M500 in order to re-install my backup image of Windows 7. Just recently, Crucial did release a utility named the Crucial Storage Executive, and using that did allow me to perform a PSID revert, and then do an ATA secure erase.

So you have been warned: Do not install Windows 10 unless your SSD's manufacturer offers a PSID revert tool of some kind, otherwise you're stuck with an ATA password that only Windows 10 is aware of and you're not!

16. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    @ John - thanks for the info - combining all the different experiences here helps us all.

17. winwatcher

winwatcher MDL Novice

Jul 12, 2009
    Had similar problem when installing operating system. It happened when I changed the name of the computer, and/or the name of the person operating the computer during the install process. When I did this it would either run chkdsk or say that the files on other drives were not accessible.

Also this happened when installing using BIOS or a UEFI firmware (MBR partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI computer). If you used a BIOS setup in previous installation builds to install an operating system, stay with that, do not decide that you would like to try a UEFI install (even if your motherboard is compatible). This can cause problems when switching drives with different operating system.

That solved my problems. Hope it helps others.

18. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Hey..
    I resemble that comment. :drink:

19. El_Heffe

El_Heffe MDL Member

Jul 16, 2007
  20. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    So I guess every time I click OK to UPGRADE and that UPGRADE FAILS then I Reboot, and IT AUTO tells me the HDD is SCREWED UP and It needs to be Scan and Fix. It is my fault...