why i couldn't delete the iso file from my nas folder

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by cns00, Apr 24, 2022.

1. cns00

cns00 MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2019
    i have an iso file in my nas folder. the iso file doesnt have a virus. i have two laptops aaa and bbb. both have windows 10. first i mounted the iso file from the nas on aaa by using windows explorer and then i unmounted it. after that i mounted other iso files by using windows explorer and then i unmounted them

next i accessed the nas folder from bbb by using windows explorer and i tried to delete the iso file. i couldn't and i got an error message which said that the file is being used by another program. i restarted bbb and i tried to delete the iso file. i couldn't do that. i restarted aaa and i tried to delete the file from aaa by using windows explorer. i couldn't do that. i shut down bbb and i tried to delete the file from aaa by using windows explorer. i couldn't do that. very weird

i opened file explorer in the dsm of the nas and i renamed the iso file. it worked. i accessed the nas folder from aaa by using windows explorer and i checked the file. it was renamed. i tried to delete it by using windows explorer. i couldn't. in the end i deleted the iso file from file explorer in the dsm of the nas and then the file was gone when i accessed the nas folder from the laptop by using windows explorer

i want to ask why i couldn't delete the iso file and it always said the file is in use by another program? i don't think that the fault is from a windows process because if it was then restarting the laptops should have ended that process. the only thing that i could think of is it's a bug in the smb service and it made both laptops think that the file is still in use and that's why i couldn't delete it. am i right?