Why I won’t upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by rEApEAt, Jul 18, 2015.

1. rEApEAt

rEApEAt MDL Senior Member

Jan 5, 2011
  2. Durga

Durga MDL Junior Member

Jun 26, 2015
    #2 Durga, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
    People need to watch this very carefully. For the last couple of months via Windows Update Microsoft have been installing 'updates' onto Windows 7 and Windows 8 machines that suggest those machines might be 'upgraded' to Windows 10 machines without the user's explicit agreement.

Also 'updates' are being delivered that, in the background, monitor user activity on Windows 7 and Windows 8 machines - the monitor is, of course, phoning home and reporting to Microsoft. (Microsoft is as much interested in your activity and data as it is being the supplier of your operating system. Fun and games with this Windows 10 roll-out.)

So watch what you're doing at Windows Update - you might find that you wake up one morning to discover that your Windows 7 or Windows 8 machine is now a Windows 10 machine. And you might not have a route back - depending on how Microsoft deals with machines that have had Windows 10 installed at some point in time.

Be extremely cautious over what you are installing from Windows Update.

3. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Already I have disabled and hidden updates designed to "make the transition to newer Windows Operating Systems easier".
    I find it disturbing that Microsoft would try to flim-flam us with updates designed to remove and replace a working OS. With that said, I see no reason to upgrade an already working OS to one which, IMHO is a feeble attempt to recoup lost Windows 7 revenues.

I'm seeing the writing on the wall, and I'm not liking what I'm seeing.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; What's the rush to update? DX12?

I'm not saying "don't update", I'm just suggesting taking a wait and see attitude towards Windows 10.

"My spider senses are tingling"

:MJ

P.S.: I'm not a gamer, so I'm not looking at it from that perspective.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    #5 s1ave77, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
    Kudos to the tin-foil-hat-posse :D.

I highly doubt that MS will forcibly Upgrade my PC although i didn't 'Order' it. They will face enough problems to serve all who want it.

[remember: don't lift your hats in return, it might harm you]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @s1ave77: I'm not saying "do not use Windows 10", I'm only suggesting caution.

With that said, I don't wear a tinfoil hat...

I wear tinfoil lingerie :D

6. Durga

Durga MDL Junior Member

Jun 26, 2015
    @s1ave77 Just 'cause I'm paranoid doesn't mean that everyone is working in my best interests.

Sometimes a dash a paranoia is a useful safeguard. That dog you have sure looks suspicious to me. :biggrin:

7. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Don't get me wrong, since i was (mostly) joking :D.

Issue is already under supervision :cool2:. Since it didn't hit GA, we will be smarter in nearly a week.

[always be aware of sneaky guide doggie in your back]

8. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @s1ave77: I did not take offense at your post in the least. And I hope that the other posters here feel the same way as I do.

A little levity is always a good thing. :)

Just know that there are many at MDL and other sites who are watching the Windows 10 situation and are preparing themselves for the possibility of underhandedness.

If and when that time comes, I'm sure that we will be well prepared. :)

9. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    LOL.

Step 1: Reserve your copy of Windows 10 now ...
    Step 2: Install when you get a notification after July 29th
    Step 3: Enjoy Windows 10 for $119 free!*

I presume I will have the option of ignoring (or postponing) after receiving the notification in step 2.

10. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    Key word here is suggest!! That is and interpretation of what is happening with all these extra updates. My interpretation,,,, or suggest that these updates are setting up your system in HOPES that you will upgrade.

Now I don't trust M$ anymore than the next guy, but do you really think that one day you will wake up and your computer will now be Win10. Come on think about that:eek: M$ has enough problems right now and forcing Win10 onto everyone would create an outstanding cry so loud that they may never recover from.

Upgrades in my book do more harm than good. They don't always work right and can screw things up. M$ knows that. Do you think that they will take the chance and screw up millions of computers?? What about companies that run Win7 with technical programs on them that may not work with Win10?? What about your own computer with programs that can't work on Win10?? Do you really think they will take that chance and just upgrade you??? I DON'T THINK SO!!

But now if you agree to the upgrade then they are in the clear and you screw up your own system.

Sleep easy here people....... your not going to be upgraded with out you permission.

11. Durga

Durga MDL Junior Member

Jun 26, 2015
  12. Leslie_Coffelt

Leslie_Coffelt MDL Member

Feb 6, 2014
    I'm not upgrading to Vista so I have no clue what this thread is about.

13. rEApEAt

Jan 5, 2011
  14. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @rEApEAt: A company like Microsoft does something like this, and other manufacturers of software just follow suit, carrying a bad software practice into their products.
    I have a similar gripe about Steinberg and Cubase. By dumbing down the color selection, they fail to allow visually impaired people the ability to set certain screen colors, effectively rendering Cubase useless.

And try saying something about it on their forum. You'll be attacked by Cubase Fanboys and told that "you're inept because you didn't RTFM".

15. zetazeta2

zetazeta2 MDL Novice

Jun 27, 2015
    i will never upgrade my windows XP, it just works.

16. rEApEAt

Jan 5, 2011
    @Michaela: I did not know about this issue in Steinberg and Cubase and I can't understand why software developers like to take decisions which should be left to their customers.

And what can I say about the clueless fanboys?

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. :)

:rpt

17. rEApEAt

Jan 5, 2011
    The problem is the increasing lack of security. :(

Get Windows 7 while you can... It's not that different and runs well even in older machines.

18. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    I run XP and Win7 on an older HP computer. XP is my main system. I run it with the Pos2009 reg. hack and still get updates and so far I have not had any problems with it. I don't think that hackers are wasting their time on XP and that is great for us hold outs. Win7 runs OK on this computer but it's not perfect.

19. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    #20 Michaela Joy, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
    IMHO, Microsoft is forced to be more sensitive to the needs of the average user. Their product costs much less than specialty software (like Cubase)but it ends up on many more machines, thusly raising the number and intensity
    of customer complaints.

The great thing is that We are not a captive market; We can stay with what We have or switch entirely, depending on our wants / needs.And companies like MS know this. They build the ability to use an alternative (Start menu / Explorer, etc) into the OS, and that has always been one of the greatest aspects of Windows (to Me).

I don't want to trigger a Windows vs. Linux debate. We're in this thread because We've decided that the Windows OS is the proper choice for our needs.With that said, I sincerely hope that someone from Microsoft reads this and knows that flexibility and choice is what makes their OS(es) great.

If you look at the update path of Apple or Android, the updates are literally forced down your throat. And in many cases, companies remove access to the binaries which would allow you to downgrade.

If that's what people are afraid of, then I fully understand their fears, and their fears are completely justified.

Microsoft needs to be a trend setter in that regard, and continue to allow the user the choice and ability to downgrade if the user sees fit.

Freedom of choice. That's what makes me stay with windows. :)

EDIT: @Oldsh_t: many people were and still are quite satisfied with Windows XP. If it wasn't for the security flaws introduced by Sun (java) many more people would still be using it today.