Why is there something rather than nothing?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by sid_16, May 9, 2012.

1. sid_16

sid_16 MDL Giveaway Organiser

Oct 15, 2011
    I don't know if this type of question is worth discussing here or not and request to the Mods. if they find it inappropriate then please feel free to delete it. Why is there something rather than nothing? It seems an impossible question but I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to solve it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. dabits

dabits Guest

Nothing is something :coffee:

3. levin91e

levin91e MDL Novice

May 9, 2012
    What came before said big bang?

4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Totally right. Nothing is always an idea of something.

Actually there had been no 'before' t=0, no space, no time, Singularity

I have written an article about the big bang and some spiritual aspects. (I am scientist and religious in some way). Goal of my article had been to unite both aspects.

I might still have it somewhere and can post it tomorrow or so....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Yah... so null set is a set too ;)

6. levin91e

levin91e MDL Novice

May 9, 2012
    Yes but a singularity must exist in some space? I believe there was a before, because from nothing you can't create something? or can you?

I think this universe is just one of a an infinite amount of universes though. Consisting of infinitely larger and smaller scales. like our universe for instance may just be one "atom" inside a "molecule". I know I am blowing your mind right now.

7. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    #7 Stannieman, May 9, 2012
    Last edited: May 9, 2012
    Maybe there isn't supposed to be something, but the nothing got out of balance, causing nothing to explode.

Maybe the big bang isn't unique, but just a black hole that got so big the process reversed and it spat out everything again.
    Maybe everything is just inside 1 black hole, the master black hole. Mabe all black holes in the universe suck you in and you'll end up at the root of the master hole?

This question makes you crazy, that's for sure...

There is also the theory that the universe will collapse at some point, causing all material to be crushed together in a tiny space, causing it to... explode again, let it grew bigger, until it starts to collapse and another big bang happens. Maybe all of those big gangs are identical and everything between 2 bangs goes exactly the same (meaning we have lived before). Maybe that's where a deja vu comes from.

8. levin91e

levin91e MDL Novice

May 9, 2012
    It's like climate change on a grand scale. We humans must be at fault for this too.

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    It did me all the time.:D
    And this fact had been the final solution to me....lol.

No honestly, I'll post my article soon..... it might be interesting.
    I hope I'll find it at home again...it took me much effort to write it that time...I don't want to start now to post about. :)

10. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    #10 sid_16, May 9, 2012
    Last edited: May 9, 2012
    (OP)
    We calculated that universe is approx. 13.7 billion years old. that doesn't mean universe is born 13.7 billion years ago and nothing was there before it. It only mentions time since the big bang. And what happened before it need not be taken into account because during formation of a singularity all the information of what happened before it is lost.

Many great scientists believe universe is infinitely old including the great stephen hawking. he said "there is nothing like creation or death of universe. it would just be!"

The best introduction to the topic 'Big Bang' in my knowledge is this

11. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    Everything came from nothing I think, 'cos it is the only thing that doesn't come from anything.:p

12. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    Because humans relate to time [which in fact does not exists per se], they think that everything there is, must have an beginning and an end.
    What if there is no beginning nor end? -What if everything JUST IS? ;)

13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Without reading the entire essay I can say: (When I was younger and had a purely scientific orientated mind I have read a lot of theories).
    It is fascinating how one can tie together logical sequences of scientific causal chains to a complex construct of the mind. All based on observations, results of measurements, also reflected by one's mind.

But they have all one thing in common: They are limited by one's mind, always. Somebody who hasn't studied the matter sooner reaches his limit than another one. But everybody will reach his limit.
    The result is always and will be always new unanswered questions, created by the mind.
    So the entire contents never lead to a point where one can be satisfied and all will be nothing but a game of the mind.
    Does somebody need to know everything about the BBT to experience his source / origin? I guess no. What about all our enlightened ones? Either you deny them or you admit their experiences. But for sure they know nothing about a particular BBT.

This fact made me thinking of a new approach and while doing that I have figured that the closer you get to 'it' the less differences between all theories / ideologies are left....

The 'problem' is our mind....the mind doesn't 'like' to be uncared and hence the mind is creating new questions, always....the mind keeps one busy while we are distracted from the 'source'.

SOCRATE_MMXII hit the nail on the head...the big bang hasn't started and never has an end, it IS now!
    It is the mind that always claims for something to have an start and and end....the mind is relative to something, always...

I need to find my article...lol...

14. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    If there is nothing then there is no time either. But it could very well be that there is a negative time. Before the big bang there might be -times, and also a negative universe.

[​IMG]

Like the above image.
    We are on the purple spot. When we do nothing special we will always be on the red line and moving to the upper right, place and time always stay in balance. Moving over the blue line is time traveling, allowing us to go to a different point in time while staying at the same place. Moving on the green line is "ultra traveling", meaning you can go from one place to another in 0 time. You could combine the 2 vectors to travel to any point in time to any given place you want, including before the big bang, BUT NOT THE PARALLEL UNIVERSE.
    I suppose traveling to a time where you weren't born yet is quiet dangerous? Or will everything that travels in time stay physically intact? Cause it actually became independent of time so going to before your birth shouldn't be an issue?

If you travel through time, and end op somewhere, what happens with the matter that is where you appear? Do the people there see you or can you only see them? Can you actually see? Can your aye that became independent of time capture the light there that still is bound to the time of that time? Can you feel things? Can matter there trigger your nerves or not? I guess not cause that matter is there at a different time then you are so you can't feel it when it's not there at the same time as you.

How to get to the parallel universe? Can we even? And what will happen then?

15. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    This probably you don't want to hear, lol.
    You are continuing with mind games--->the nature of the mind is taking fully action-->it creates new questions.
    What can be its purpose? To have fun at MDL.:biggrin:
    So we can go on this way. I am sure it will be fun, but our questions won't end...
    Time is created by the mind, also negative time. So we can work out relative truths.
    One truth matches in space with positive time another one matches with a construct where negative time has taken action...the BBT is based on t=0 start till today, regression in time made us to discover the big bang (so the scientists say..)

There must be something else...to break out from moving in a circle.

16. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    The middle of the circle is not a circle but a point.

17. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    That sounds good.
    The middle of everything is a point, so metaphorical all 'we' need is to rely on 'this' point. (Without thinking of a point).
    It's hard to post here about, because we need to address one's mind, but we actually must not. lol. And the mind doesn't like that at all. Crazy.. so how to post something 'valuable' regarding somebody's (our) 'origin'. :)

18. Windows Fan

Windows Fan MDL Senior Member

Mar 6, 2012
    i always wondered about it since i was a child. and i still wonder about it. its always said that the big bang created this whole universe and world but then who created this big bang? what was there when there was no big bang? when there was nothing, then what was there? and if there was nothing, where this big bang came from suddenly?

i also sometimes wonder that people believe God created this world, then who created God? :eek:

19. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    Chuck Norris did.

20. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Maybe everything was dark matter, then there was some retarded dark matter. That started a chainreaction and looots of retarted gray matter was created. That retarded gray matter is all other matter we know. There was no nothing, just all dark matter, and the big bang was the point were all the retard explosion took place. Because dark matter takes in more place than other matter (forgotten how you call this, but just like helium molecules take in more space than oxigen) there are now also places where really nothing is.

But I think this theory is retarded to begin with...