Why not to disable UAC?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ian82, Sep 29, 2013.

1. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    Why do they advice not to disable UAC in Windows 8?

It takes meh double the time to install all my apps and driver having to make an extra click to allow UAC. I hate it so much but people say it breaks Windows if you disable it? what the duck?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    #2 Mr Jinje, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
    AFAIK only Metro Apps require UAC on.

I don't need them and I have no issues with UAC disabled.

3. karthikimfak

karthikimfak MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2011

Well... UAC is for security fella... when you accidentally execute any unnecessary file means it will ask you Yes or No.... So when it is disabled easily some unwanted apps can get executed.... whenever you try to install any apps which is legitimate then you can disable it... probably instead of disabling you can go for the level 2 UAC control settings.... when you click any installer file below the yes or no option there will be change notification which i have shown below will not annoy you....

Screenshot (2).png

4. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    Doesn't break anything as far as I'm aware of aside from non-essential Modern UI apps.

I believe it might be more of an issue on 8 though because some essential Modern UI apps (like file browser I think) can be disabled. If I understand right, this would just leave you unable to change your display picture and lock screen, but if you change em before you disable UAC, you'd be fine.

Haven't had any issue in 8.1 though.

5. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Disable UAC is the first thing I do after installing windows ! I find it a nagging screen hate it when you have to confirm an action you allready want to do !!!:mad:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. adit123tya

adit123tya MDL Senior Member

Oct 25, 2012
    it is not meant for an action you have triggered, but and action that automatically gets triggered. (Seems you guys haven't used any linux distros yet)

7. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    #7 endbase, Sep 29, 2013
    Tried every distribution of Linux love it !! I'm a Linux fanboy :p But the reality is that al the program's I find important are designed for windows o_O

Ps and i'm aware of wine !!

8. adit123tya

Oct 25, 2012
    A little out of topic, but I didn't point to linux bcoz it is great (and it is really great), but bcoz it has the same UAC (sudo command) and comes often in front even more than UAC

9. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    #9 endbase, Sep 29, 2013
    Yeah but my point was and still is that If you use root account in Linux you don't have to use sudo The same for windows is that you enable the administrator account then you don't have to deal with UAC but downside is that you can't use the apps in the metro screen (Administrator account is disabled on fresh install)

Administrator.png

Greetz base

10. adit123tya

Oct 25, 2012
    Yes, afterall M$ has keep some difference between windows and any linux distro, else soon people will dump windows (by blaming copycat, which M$ always does)

11. Baghi

Baghi MDL Junior Member

Sep 1, 2013
    From my limited understanding when you disable annoying pop-ups you're not disabling the UAC completely, to do that you've to mess with the registries files.

12. adit123tya

Oct 25, 2012
    not totally no, but considerablely, enough for malware to spread much faster (remember xp), only core system files will remain protected

13. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
  14. eydee

eydee Guest

UAC provides zero protection against anything under windows. Why? Because people learn to click yes without reading anything very quickly. It's a nag screen and people treat it like one. Click yes to dismiss it, even if they have no idea why it pops up.

Under linux it's completely different, because people don't use admin (root) accounts. You need to type a password as well, not just click yes. Also linux will just deny access when you have no rights do do something, and you have to repeat the process with root privileges and type the password. On the contrary, UAC will kick in whatever you do and switch you to admin mode if you click yes. Even if you don't know what an admin is. Plain stupid and anything but protection.

15. adit123tya

Oct 25, 2012
    on windows you need to type password if you are logged in as standard user and it is skipped if logged as admin (assuming that no one other than admin has access to the a/c). While in linux even if you login as admin it still doesn't trust the user sitting in front of it if you have passed more 5 min since you last entered your password

16. OldMX

OldMX MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    #16 OldMX, Sep 29, 2013
    Considering you go back and forth DAILY from win8 to win 7 to win81, then its really an issue for you. Most of us dont give a crap about UAC, its there for user protection.

17. BigW

BigW MDL Member

Apr 25, 2010
    Everyone with REAL linux-knowlage would hit you badly if you meant this seariously! You don't do normal day operations with root! To not use root is a way of preventing such noobs like you from cripling there system. By the way many Linux distros also disables root and heavyly guard the activation of the user root!

UAC should only be triggered when there is a need of special admin rights like installing new software or changing system files!

18. BigW

BigW MDL Member

Apr 25, 2010
    If a user clicks on every "nag screen" (also nagging from maleware) he already got an maleware riddled system and no one can teach him anything! Such people have to learn it the hard way or they never will learn it. As a PC-FixIt-Guy you reinstall windows on there System several times they will learn not to click on every pop up or don't listen to a word you say. When you have enought of there money you harden down there system in a way to not alow them anything to do as admin and the System is save from now on. No admin-rights whatsowever (the UAC helps in this situation a LOT) that means a save system for a long time.

19. daspicer

daspicer MDL Novice

Sep 25, 2011
    You should not be using the administrator account in Windows or the root account in Linux as your account. No one in the know in either Windows or Linux would ever advise such a practice.

20. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    #20 Mr Jinje, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013