Why screen resolution always low

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Fly3, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Fly3

Fly3 MDL Junior Member

Oct 7, 2017
    Hi
    running windows 8.1 Enterprise 64bit (old-I mean i have to update it from windows update every time I install it)
    Galaxy GTX 660
    I5 4430
    4gb kingston ram
    AsRock b85m
    Seasonic 500w power supply
    Samsung s19b300 monitor

My issue started months ago when I was about to open a game and power suddenly cut in my home and after this my screen resolution always at low. when I manually edit resolution to high I see a little bit horizontal and vertical things then I reinstalled windows 8.1 and let windows install drivers and everything worked fine and after some days the issue come again after restarting and I can see a yellow sign beside GTX660 in device manager and when I install driver It doesn't work.
    I did reinstall windows 8.1 several times and its the same every time.
    I live in developing country so power always cut in my area.
    My question is I want to know if this is a software or a hardware issue ?

2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    This means that you get good drivers (maybe the best drivers) from Windows, but for some reason, someone will change them and replace them with non-suitable drivers or somebody changing settings.
    Try to find out, who is this, who changing setting and installs non-suitable drivers.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    Make sure your Samsung monitor is running the latest driver, also if monitor is not made for gaming your GPU mite be over loading the monitors pixilation capacity.

5. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Uninstall the driver and reinstall it using the device manager.

6. Fly3

Fly3 MDL Junior Member

Oct 7, 2017
    Yes I installed latest driver from nvidia but It didn't work. my monitor was working great and I don't have another reliable computer. I think my graphics card is the issue however it didn't run with high temp before.

7. Fly3

Fly3 MDL Junior Member

Oct 7, 2017
    I didn't use a monitor driver before and everything was working good also I visited the monitor site and can't find a driver for windows 8.1
    Yes its not made for gaming but I use this monitor for 3 years without any problem.

8. Fly3

Fly3 MDL Junior Member

Oct 7, 2017
    #8 Fly3, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    (OP)
    Once I uninstall the driver from "Programs" windows automatically install it again I don't know if the device manager will make a difference.

9. Fly3

Fly3 MDL Junior Member

Oct 7, 2017
    And what about the sign beside my GTX 660 in Device Manager ?

10. netlords

netlords MDL Novice

Jun 20, 2012
    I would say it had nothing to do with the graphics driver or the card.

It´s beyond of doubt that the card is able to do the resolutions - probably the restriction is the screen or the driver for the screen.
    If this is returning to the graphic card that the max resolution is this, the graphic card wins because an to high resolution could harm the screen.

Enable the hidden devices in the device-manager and see if there is an Screen-Device. If its there check this driver and the max resolution.

11. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Did you read any of the thread?

12. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    #14 WindowsGeek, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    Can u please post a image of your device manager to see whats in their.

13. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Started happening after a sudden power cut you say?
    How old is that GTX 660 card? Does it have a fan on it? Is the fan still working?

Just something else to consider. Overheated hardware could be part of it.

14. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    You do not know anybody that will let you connect your monitor too for a few days to determine if it is faulty?
    friends, family members or neighbors?

15. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    i agree...power outage no UPS to protect the system...mite have a bad monitor a bad GPU or both went bad.

16. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    You could yank out the GTX660 card and try running your monitor with the Intel 4600 on board video

17. Fly3

Fly3 MDL Junior Member

Oct 7, 2017
    Regarding to Device Manager I can see all is ok except GTX 660 have a yellow triangle sign. an image of device manager would be ugly :eek: because its a bad time for me now seeing screen at low resolution.
    When everything was alright I could saw the monitor name (S19B300) in the (change the appearance of your display) "display name" field but now I see " Generic Non-Pnp monitor " and also there is no (Recommended) resolution now.
    I don't think its a heat problem I don't hear fans getting noisy too much except when running games like BF3 and that was a long time ago.
    There is a fan on the card that's sure thing and my whole PC is about 3 years old.
    And I really appreciate ur help.

18. Fly3

Fly3 MDL Junior Member

Oct 7, 2017
    Anyway I had enough and I hope that I can move to the USA soon and abandon that garbage PC.I live in Egypt and I even cant find an compressed air cans to clean my PC also power must cut 2 or 3 times every week. please Jesus show mercy on me .